Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter not so welcoming of difference at home

Options
  • 18-09-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Twitter who came down strongly on the yes side in the marriage equality referendum are not so tolerant in their home country.In the United States where there are now sixty million Spanish speakers twitter still won't allow the use of Spanish language keyboards effectively banning ñ and other Spanish symbols earning the plaudits of gentlemen like Donald Trump

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

You mean their employees or their users can't use Spanish language keyboards?

Any link for more on this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yo soy carlos

You mean their employees or their users can't use Spanish language keyboards?

Any link for more on this story?

Twitter users can't use Spanish language letters such as ñ
    It's a big story among the US fifty million Spanish speakers on decrimination against the language which right wingers see as a threat to English
    Look up project enye I can't use urls as a new user

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Could it just be a technical issue? In that there are still many IT protocols that have patchy support for non-ASCII/Latin-1 character sets and will render accent marks either impropertly or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I can't find anything on this. I'm on my tablet so didn't spend much time looking. You can use Japanese on Twitter just fine.

I would guess it would be a technical issue. I don't see what Twitter would have to gain by preventing a few letter being used.

Any links mentioning those?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not finding it either. What happens if one attempts to use the alt-code number on the English keyboard instead of trying to select Soanish keyboard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Project enye leads to this
    http://projectenye.com/what-is-an-enye-n/
    An “Enye (ñ)” is a first generation American born Latino who has at least one parent from a Spanish speaking country.

Project Enye (ñ) is an unorthodox, multi-platform documentary project about first-generation American born Latinos that uses cultural and familial stories to build community among this large and growing population. Each week, the filmmakers pre-release these documentary stories to their audience via multiple formats, including 3-5 minute video micro-docs, podcasts, blogs, social media and live community presentations. Each micro-doc showcases intimate, unscripted Enye stories and commentary that touch on topics ranging from identity and language to family and assimilation. Although story details vary, each segment reveals commonalities about the shared Enye experience in America that collectively defines this generation one story at a time.

So Im still lost here. Im starting to doubt this is a thing at all.

Advertisement