Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

increase in babys head circumference

Options
  • 17-09-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi i had my 12 week old at the public health nurse today for his check up. she noticed that his measurement for head circumference has gone from 50th percentile at birth to 92nd now. she said its quite an increase.

she also commented on his head control and said he had a slight head lag. his head control improved a bit as she was looking at him.

I also expressed concern that when he is lying on his back he always turns his head to the right. i have tried placing toys to his left but it doesn't work.

Phn wants me to see the gp about these issues.
    of course i had to google all this when I came home and now im freaking out!!

does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Don't freak out at all. The phn told me that two of my children did not have great head control and I needed to do more tummy time. I think they are just tired at the time, and wouldn't 'perform' for her. There is not a bother on them.

Regarding the head circumference , bring baby to doc to settle your concerns. There could easily be a mistake somewhere, they usually measure it 3 times to get an accurate reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

From personal experience, I would go to the gp, they can check into it further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My son's head circumference went from 9th centile at birth to 40th at the 12 week check. They just called us back for an extra measurement at 6 months and checked again at the 9 month appointment. They were happy with it at both, he since got really tall so it seems that his head just grew before his body caught up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My son's head circumference was in the 99th percentile by 3 months, whereas his weight/height were around the 50th. His head continued to grow until it was off the charts. He also had poor head control, for which he had physio. The upshot of it was he ended up having an MRI to rule out hydrocephalus. He was grand thankfully, and now, at 2, his body is catching up with his head. The best thing to do would be to head to the gp. It's most likely nothing, but they do need to keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

nikpmup wrote: »
    The best thing to do would be to head to the GP. It's most likely nothing, but they do need to keep an eye on it.

Nicely done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 joanene

Thanks for replies.
    went to gp and he didnt seem too concerned but is referring us to a paediatrician just in case. he doesn't think gis head looks big but based on increase in measurements he said its best to get it checked further.

he also measured my head and said i had a bigger than average head....that was news to me! lets hope that is all it is...ill be worried til he gets the all clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

nikpmup wrote: »
    My son's head circumference was in the 99th percentile by 3 months, whereas his weight/height were around the 50th. His head continued to grow until it was off the charts. He also had poor head control, for which he had physio. The upshot of it was he ended up having an MRI to rule out hydrocephalus. He was grand thankfully, and now, at 2, his body is catching up with his head. The best thing to do would be to head to the gp. It's most likely nothing, but they do need to keep an eye on it.
    I could have written this about my son. He was born with his head in the 99% percentile (and he was only 30th percentile for length and weight). He's 3 and a half now, and it's exactly the same. He had the scan and there was nothing, he just has a big head.
    The biggest issues for us was it delayed his sitting, crawling and walking because it affected his balance. (He didn't walk until 20 months).
    We also have to think about his head size when buying clothes, hoodies without zips are a no-no, they just won't go over his head.
    It is worth going to your gp to get reassured.

Advertisement