Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in Parkmore from 4pm to 6pm

Options
  • 17-09-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has the traffic, especially in the evening, got considerably worse in the last few weeks?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I noticed it on the wet days. Yesterday seemed fine at 4.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,786 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

muddle84 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the traffic, especially in the evening, got considerably worse in the last few weeks?

Since school started, you mean?

I'd expect that traffic city-wide has got worse in that timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Try coming in from Moycullen!! Diabolical neverending roadworks the Galway side of the village. Traffic backed up in the mornings right back to the lights in the village - crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Galway2014

Yes traffic has definitely gotten worse. I heard talk of a new side road opening a few months ago it is needed badly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

Since school started, you mean?

I'd expect that traffic city-wide has got worse in that timeframe.

I know it gets worse since the schools have started back as it always does. But if you compare the traffic now to this time last year, I'm convinced its worse this year.
    Galway2014 wrote: »
    Yes traffic has definitely gotten worse. I heard talk of a new side road opening a few months ago it is needed badly

I heard that too that would basically free up all the traffic heading for the tuam road( which includes me) This would make a massive difference( for people going that way) as the majority of the traffic are heading for briarhill.
    But asdly the last I heard was that it has been postponed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

I know it gets worse since the schools have started back as it always does. But if you compare the traffic now to this time last year, I'm convinced its worse this year.

I heard that too that would basically free up all the traffic heading for the tuam road( which includes me) This would make a massive difference( for people going that way) as the majority of the traffic are heading for briarhill.
    But asdly the last I heard was that it has been postponed again.

Interesting since the week of the arts festival the traffic heading west at bothar na dreabh (beside menlo hotel) as got really bad. There is regularly traffic tail backs there in the evening, where before there never was.

I've heard that they changed the signally at the courthouse junction, which is having a negative feedback on to the headford around about and so forth.

I really do think that the public are getting poor value from the Galway Transport Unit.

If you look at Dublin you can use traffic cameras to make smarter decisions about when you travel and what route you take.

https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-traffic-dublin/get-latest-traffic-news

Also i heard from a city councillor that the engineer who was in charge of the Galway Transport unit has left and has not been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,786 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I seem to remember people noting in about January (?) this year that traffic in Parkmore in the mornings and also on the Tuam Rd outbound around 9am had got a lot worse.

So it doesn't surprise me that after school/work traffic is worse this September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

weshtawake wrote: »
    Try coming in from Moycullen!! Diabolical neverending roadworks the Galway side of the village. Traffic backed up in the mornings right back to the lights in the village - crazy!

Not due to end until December so plenty more ahead of you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I noticed the last few days that there have been people with clipboards at a few of the companies in Parkmore taking note of the traffic build up.

It can take almost an hour to get out of the West business park some days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

thebackbar wrote: »
    If you look at Dublin you can use traffic cameras to make smarter decisions about when you travel and what route you take.

https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-traffic-dublin/get-latest-traffic-news

This would be so brilliant to have in Galway.

Maybe we could run this as a community project with some interested people? I'd love to put some cameras up and I could donate some equipment and webhosting etc.. A raspberry pi and its camera is enough (and really good quality). The technology part is easy. The main problem I see is finding suitable camera locations, but there are plenty of people living with a view on the main roads. It would only take a few people willing to put up a cam and share it (the bandwidth would be minimal with a low-res picture once every few minutes)

I wouldn't see any privacy issues if you keep the resolution low enough so as to not being able to recognise individual motorists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement