Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulk bins for food in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to reduce my packaging, due to lack of recycling nearby and the sheer amount of packaging that comes into the house. I've started to buy unpackaged fruit and veg which works great, but does anyone know of any shops that sell food in bulk bins? Then I can bring my own containers or reuse theirs.

I know that Holland & Barrett on Henry street have oils, nuts and porridge in bulk bins, but does anyone one of any other shops?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lidl have loose nuts, they are usually more expensive than the packaged ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Better suited here OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Most of the Asian/African veg shops sell loose

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll get rice loose in Asian supermarkets. Unless you're walking or cycling, you're probably doing more damage with the multi-shopping though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Most places don't do it as it's not hygienic to have uncooked food like that exposed. My local bakery had to put all their bread in bags before putting it on display as people kept touching it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You will pay a huge premium for the loose produce from the likes of Holland and Barratt. You might not be producing waste but you will be paying with your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Most places don't do it as it's not hygienic to have uncooked food like that exposed. My local bakery had to put all their bread in bags before putting it on display as people kept touching it

go in the door of any lidl and theres "fresh" unwrapped breads & pastries a few steps away. Ive often seen some of it on the floor and last week even saw a croissant with a bite out of it back in amongst the other croissants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The best is folk who lick their fingers to open the bags, then proceed to paw the bread (ugh).

Advertisement