Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

***DCU INTERNAL TRANSFER*

• 16-09-2015 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am just wondering about DCU's internal transfer policy. I just had my first day of EPL and I'm already getting a sneaking suspicion that its not for me. I like the idea of the business side of it (economics) but not so much the Law and Politics side.

So my question to all those who may be able to help. Is it possible for me maybe to transfer to Business (or even Psychology?!)? I could slug it out and get a master in Economics but if I can avoid the immediate need for an expensive postgrad that would be great. The only issue I could envisage is that I got 400 points in my LC this year and Business in DCU is 435 plus. Will this be an issue or will they see me for my interest in the course and not my LC points?

Thanks all in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hi Elemonator,

I've deleted your posts in the other threads as it's against boards.ie rules to post the same thing multiple times, and also to drag up threads that are years old.

Most of time transfers between first years of courses will not be considered if you don't have the points. However, if you complete a first year of the EPL course and pass everything, you will be in a great position to transfer into 2nd year of the Business course (Psychology maybe not as it's unrelated but it could be possible to transfer into 1st year although that would mean you would need to pay fees for the first year). To be honest I think you may be jumping the gun a little bit - you haven't even started properly yet, and trust me, the course will turn out to be very different from the impression you get at orientation. The reality of studying the subject is never quite the same as just being told what will be covered and what the learning aims of each module is. My advice would be to wait and stick it out for the year and then see if you still want to transfer.

If you're hell bent on transferring right now, it will likely be impossible due to points and space limits on the course BUT the only way you can know for sure is to contact the course head of whatever course you want to transfer into. There's no harm in asking after all and best to find out your options as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Konata wrote: »
    Hi Elemonator,

I've deleted your posts in the other threads as it's against boards.ie rules to post the same thing multiple times, and also to drag up threads that are years old.

Most of time transfers between first years of courses will not be considered if you don't have the points. However, if you complete a first year of the EPL course and pass everything, you will be in a great position to transfer into 2nd year of the Business course (Psychology maybe not as it's unrelated but it could be possible to transfer into 1st year although that would mean you would need to pay fees for the first year). To be honest I think you may be jumping the gun a little bit - you haven't even started properly yet, and trust me, the course will turn out to be very different from the impression you get at orientation. The reality of studying the subject is never quite the same as just being told what will be covered and what the learning aims of each module is. My advice would be to wait and stick it out for the year and then see if you still want to transfer.

If you're hell bent on transferring right now, it will likely be impossible due to points and space limits on the course BUT the only way you can know for sure is to contact the course head of whatever course you want to transfer into. There's no harm in asking after all and best to find out your options as soon as possible.

Apologies about that. I'm still familiarising myself with the website.

And thank you! That's all the info I need. I will take your advice there.

Advertisement