Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret chess tournament

Options
  • 16-09-2015 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

What is so secret about the City of Dublin Championships that we are not allowed to know the results?
    Almost three days after it finished (it's now approx 5.30pm Wednesday) various sites (LCU and both ICU) tell you how to enter and the first round draw, but nothing since then...
    I appreciate that volunteers give up their weekend to run the various tournaments but these days the world expects to be informed pretty quickly, and generally is, often within minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

What is so secret about the City of Dublin Championships that we are not allowed to know the results?

All the results and rating changes came out 2 days ago on ICU rating site , log in to see individual results.

http://ratings.icu.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Thanks, but that is not really where one expects to look first.

Also I was told by the organiser at the Irish Veterans Championship (the weekend before the City of Dublins) that the event would be rated by the I.C.U. but either it has not been included yet or was not submitted yet?

Though actually, according to the ratings website, May 2015 is still the most recent current ratings.

So maybe it is not too late for that tournament (which only affects a few players) to be included in the ratings effective for this season's Leinster Leagues? It's supposed to be an official I.C.U, championship so maybe someone can chase Andrew Thomson for the crosstable?

Thanks, but that is not really where one expects to look first.

Rating site is actually the best place to look for results as it usually shows up there first.
    Also I was told by the organiser at the Irish Veterans Championship (the weekend before the City of Dublins) that the event would be rated by the I.C.U. but either it has not been included yet or was not submitted yet?

Though actually, according to the ratings website, May 2015 is still the most recent current ratings.

So maybe it is not too late for that tournament (which only affects a few players) to be included in the ratings effective for this season's Leinster Leagues? It's supposed to be an official I.C.U, championship so maybe someone can chase Andrew Thomson for the crosstable?

Likely reason for delay is, Drogheda organiser is slow to submit results .Live ICU rating can be used meanwhile and september rating list can be amended later to include tournaments played before mid september, which has happened before.

One thing else I want to add is that, outside of politics of it, when The rating officer is doing a fine job, he should Not be challenged for his post.

Talking about secret tournaments this " Ulster masters " Tournament advertised on boards.ie AKA eboards is definitely a secret tournament !

Why is it called " Ulster masters " when it is just an ordinary tournament with different sections ?!.
    Who can enter ? How do you enter ?!.where is the entry form ?. Do you have to join UCU to enter ? How many sections ?. what is expected prize fund?. Will it be fide rated ?. Why use 75 mins + 30 sec increments and give 4 hour gap between start times, which will cause serious risk of rounds time overlap or at least very little time for breaks between rounds ?( bringing forward early round and pushing back late round a bit would do the job ).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

sinbad68 wrote: »
    Why is it called " Ulster masters " when it is just an ordinary tournament with different sections ?!
    Because it's theirs and they can call it whatever they want?
    Who can enter ? How do you enter ?!.where is the entry form ?. Do you have to join UCU to enter ? How many sections ?. what is expected prize fund?. Will it be fide rated ?. Why use 75 mins + 30 sec increments and give 4 hour gap between start times, which will cause serious risk of rounds time overlap or at least very little time for breaks between rounds ?( bringing forward early round and pushing back late round a bit would do the job ).

To quote the relevant bit from the thread here:
    Contact: For any enquiries or to enter contact td@ulsterchess.org or telephone 07796172227

I mean, come on sinbad, it's the first time we've seen UCU events get announced here in a while and looking so carefully for flaws on anything's first attempt is a really, really, really, really bad idea from the point of view of just about everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Brief reports up now on ICU.ie and LeinsterChess.com, including cross-tables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

cdeb wrote: »
    Brief reports up now on ICU.ie and LeinsterChess.com, including cross-tables

The games are also available. Thanks and credit to Herbert Scarry for inputting.

Advertisement