Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free cancer examination?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 5:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Why did Irish dentists offer a free oral cancer check up one day every September but not this year?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

I've been wondering the same.
    I'd imagine it may be due to either poor uptake, or else insufficient&/inappropriate referrals for further investigation?
    All dentists who partook in the scheme were requested to return statistics on amount of patients seen, referred, diagnosed, treated, ect- so this data would all have been analysed.
    All dentists screen for oral cancer as part of a routine checkup, there isn't an extra or special test they do on this particular day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think the idea is that if something is too frequent people become desensitized to it and take no notice. There are days and weeks for every cancer and ailment.

Dentists were asked instead this year to examine any patient they see this week for signs of oral cancer, actually something that dentists do at every examination and check visit. I would say it will be back next year.

Advertisement