Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration of the Gearagh ?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 4:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

I was really delighted to see a petition for the restoration of Gearagh Alluvial Forest in Co. Cork. Its a unique forest and it'd be wonderful if it was possible to return it to its natural state.
    Preserve and protect this habitat which is one of just four remaining on planet earth. Drop the water level at the obsolete dam at Carrig an Droichead by one meter to enable regrowth of the tree grasslands and small islands. Investigate or install proper fish passes which are currently totally dysfunctional and hence in breach of both Irish and European environmental laws.

https://community.sumofus.org/petitions/save-the-unique-inland-river-forest-delta-on-the-river-lee-in-southern-ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does the Esb (or the management of the lee system ) have a view on this ?
    Personally I'd love to see the geragh re forested (naturally ) -
    If it was to happen would the line of the ESB's land have to be defined to prevent farm diggers heading in to do drainage work - might suit the local water buffalo population -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does the Esb (or the management of the lee system ) have a view on this ?
    Personally I'd love to see the geragh re forested (naturally ) -
    If it was to happen would the line of the ESB's land have to be defined to prevent farm diggers heading in to do drainage work - might suit the local water buffalo population -

It is a good question. I'd love to know the answer myself. I long presumed if the solution was so simple it'd have been done already. It is already a Special Area of Conservation and a Special Protection Area so I presume drainage without licences would be illegal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My mother worked in the area before it was flooded. She often spoke of the distress of people there forced to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

My mother worked in the area before it was flooded. She often spoke of the distress of people there forced to leave.

I remember hearing that much of the woodland that was destroyed in the Gearagh was Yew, which would be a desperate shame if true, given how slow growing and long-lived a tree it is, as well as how little Yew woodland there is in Europe.

Advertisement