Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Converting an old radio into a PC case

• 16-09-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience with modding stuff like old radios to house their PC? I've an oversized PC case for my HTPC and an old-school radio that doesn't work. I want to gut the radio and stick my PC components into it but I'm a bit unsure on how to get started. Will I need to make mounts for motherboard, PSU and HDD? If so, what material is generally used?

The HTPC is used daily so I need to have my research done before I start gutting things. Anybody got some advice to get me started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Is it a big case? Are you using using mini itx or uatx?

Make sure you have some airflow, even modest processors and graphics cards put out a decent amount of heat. So consider where in the case your mobo will be and which way the airflow is going through its cpu cooler and match that case intake fan so they all blow in a similar direction.

What will you do with power on/off switches and USB/ethernet/graphics/sound ports? If you make a hole in the case for the motherboard ports, use the motherboard EMI gasket for your sizing so later on if you change the motherboard you can slot the new one straight in and use the new gasket. I dont know if you will be able to use the radio's switches to control power, you'll have to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

BigEejit wrote: »
    Is it a big case? Are you using using mini itx or uatx?
    Make sure you have some airflow, even modest processors and graphics cards put out a decent amount of heat. So consider where in the case your mobo will be and which way the airflow is going through its cpu cooler and match that case intake fan so they all blow in a similar direction.
    The case is big so should be more than enough room. Mini itx (as far as I remember).
    There's a big grill on the front for the original speaker so I'm planning on using that for air intake. Might need to modify the back for exhaust. I'm thinking if I can mount the motherboard perpendicular (and vertical) to this, a decent sized fan should pump more than enough air through to keep things cool.
    BigEejit wrote: »
    What will you do with power on/off switches and USB/ethernet/graphics/sound ports? If you make a hole in the case for the motherboard ports, use the motherboard EMI gasket for your sizing so later on if you change the motherboard you can slot the new one straight in and use the new gasket. I dont know if you will be able to use the radio's switches to control power, you'll have to test.

Power switch will use one of the existing dials on the front if possible, but I can always mount a discrete push-button on the back if the dials aren't usable. It will be on most of the time so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably have to make a custom "back-plate" for the radio for ports, etc. but everything is on-board so it should be just a case of cutting out a rectangle for the gasket.

Any idea on how to setup the interior? Do people usually just make custom mounts for the motherboard, HDD and PSU? My woodwork skills aren't to strong so I'm not sure where to get started there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I havent done anything like that (yet...) but i would likely butcher an old case for the motherboard mount with pre-drilled holes for the standoffs. The motherboard will come with a standard rectangular backplate which will accommodate the ports etc, so you will ave to cut just the one rectangular hole in the back of the radio for that.

You could also pull hard drive mounts etc from an old case. Most PSUs are mounted via 4 holes at the back, and exhaust air out the back so you need a vent for that. Fan mounting points are pretty standard too, if you want a grill again, you could potentially cut from the case.

Hope you have a dremel!

I would suggest laying out the interior on paper first to see how things will fit, being cognisant of routing cables etc.

Advertisement