Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recessed lights - all 4 blown??

Options
  • 15-09-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I tried help my neighbour today with her lights in the kitchen.
    they are 4 recessed spots, Halogen, 50watts/220.
    She knew one was out for a while, but then after a painter had been working she came home and none worked. He said, he had touched them, just painted around them.

I tried a known working bulb in 3 of the four fittings - nothing.
    I took down 2 of the 4 fittings, found the transformer, checked it was getting power - they were.
    Bulbs are all intact.

Its not that I need help fitting new ones.

I need some help on understanding what could blow 4 transformers in one go.
    These lights are on the same ring as another 2 sets of similar lights in the hall and under cupboards, also all halogen, all same transformers, are all still working.

Any thoughts - cautions. I am OK at doing these things, but no electrician. Don't fancy fitting 4 new transformers and they blow again.

The trip switches are a modern board, fitted in last 5 years, by a qualified electrician. Had it tripped while working, the painter could have flicked the switch back up. My neighbour didn't find the switch tripped anyway.

If during painting the light had been on, and something tripped the circuit, while all the other lights on the ring were off, could it have blown all four transformers? He was using a paint stripper heat gun.

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement