Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A motto of life and death

Options
  • 15-09-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

My old school had a very memorable motto that has stuck with me to this day.

Quas dederis solas semper habebis opes.

This translates as "what you give will be your only permanent riches", or, as my French tutor paraphrased it, "you get out what you put in".

I've since used this as a personal motto of my own. it serves as a source of motivation, and a strong reminder to give things my all, and I've never needed to find a better one.

Does anyone else have a motto, either one of your own choosing, or a family motto or anything of the sort? What's the story behind it? And if not, would you want one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

XyWeasel wrote: »
    My old school had a very memorable motto that has stuck with me to this day.

Quas dederis solas semper habebis opes.

This translates as "what you give will be your only permanent riches", or, as my French tutor paraphrased it, "you get out what you put in".

I've since used this as a personal motto of my own. it serves as a source of motivation, and a strong reminder to give things my all, and I've never needed to find a better one.

Does anyone else have a motto, either one of your own choosing, or a family motto or anything of the sort? What's the story behind it? And if not, would you want one?
    Well the family motto is "While I breath I hope." I guess they were all optimists.

I don't really have my own motto except for what is in my sig. The story behind that is I like to do everything to the point of excess, which sometimes is a good thing and most of the time is a bad thing. No apologies or excuses here though, I only have one life I intend for it to be enjoyable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One of the very few useful pieces of advice my mother gave me is "Fuck the begrudgers"

Nice thread Weasel.

I have a few for different situations in my life. Haruki Murakami wrote the following;
    "What happens when people open their hearts?
    "They get better".

It reminds me that we all carry a story and that sometimes that story can make us terrified of opening up and letting others in. I think we are very disconnected from each other and that makes me a little sad. I have a kind of longing for deeper connections rather than 'How are you? Grand thanks and yourself'. So that little quote is quite nice.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I found this little pic on Facebook earlier today and it's sort of stuck with me and made me think.

Advertisement