Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bully manager had access to victims notes

Options
  • 15-09-2015 1:12pm
    Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Right this is a difficult one...
    If a person has made allegations of bullying against a manager......ongoing.....a separate incident happens, should this manager be prevented from dealing with the persons private notes and paperwork i.e. in a locked desk?

I think they should especially if there is a HR dept.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If a person has made allegations of bullying against a manager......ongoing.....a separate incident happens, should this manager be prevented from dealing with the persons private notes and paperwork i.e. in a locked desk?

Aren't all correspondence and items associated with your employer the property of your employer? And therefore you have no right to privacy in items relating to your employer which you have locked in your desk. Personal items or items not related to your employment should not be stored at your work station. At the moment it is an "allegation" it has not been proved against the manager so why would s/he not have access to paperwork relating to his job?

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

To protect the victim...there would be others who could easily do this instead of the alleged bully...imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's certainly best practice but if someone is accused of something all information should be put to them anyway so what in these hypothetical notes would not already be known to the person concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

it really depends on the allegation and how seriously senior management are taking the complaint..

I've seen it go both ways..
    Where senior management and HR decide the issue is exagerated or malicious then I've seen it brought to the person being complained about in an "off the record" aspect in order to head off the complaint before it goes too far and wastes a heap of company resources..

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Well...
    The said manager had limits put on them by HR with regards to any further interaction with the person, the company is actively trying to keep the bullying claim low key and from what I gather they didn't really investigate it adequately, and it appears they didn't follow their own policy either.
    "If a claim of bullying is made about your line manager, a different manager should be appointed to investigate the claim"

"Persons should be interviewed separately"

I told this person to write to HR and log this as part of the complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Personally I'd raise it ad a grievance.

Advertisement