Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new aer lingus website

• 15-09-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Was given the choice of using the "new, streamlined...." website yesterday. I think it's awful, badly laid out, slow and pretty much cap compared to the old site which is still thankfully available.

Thoughts? Sorry if wrong thread location but would love to hear thoughts from design point if view.

https://new.aerlingus.com/html/home.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Any thoughts yourself?

Find Flights button is in the wrong place process-wise - should be bottom right not top right.

The whole booking process is broken into sub-stages which is good but there is no indication of how far into the process users are at which is bad.

It isn't clear enough whether some extras have actually been chosen, the buttons in use convey no info on the state of the option like 'ticked'.

The 1st page of the booking process has poorly contrasted grey text on grey background, why oh why?

Travel insurance was €70 for a selection I made earlier but is now €82????

Am unable to toggle off for Add redress number, Add special assistance, Add Gold Circle/Frequent Flyer number options.

Pre-ticked '
    I want to hear about flight offers and deals!' Don't do that.

Seat map has little/no facilities info a la seatguru.

Oh and there's no background colour specified in the css.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

tricky D wrote: »
    Any thoughts yourself?

I had given my (non Web designer) amateur comments in my post.
    TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    I think it's awful, badly laid out, slow and pretty much cap compared to the old site which is still thankfully available.

But yours are well thought out and what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

not gona lie - I absolute love the layout and the clarity of information, from a layout point of view I think its very easy to find your way around and I'm not going to lie I will use this site theme as a basis in my next website project.

Thanks
    B.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The old website was bad enough but this one is even worse, staring at a page for 20 seconds even though it looks like it's loaded trying to click into the search boxes and nothing happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Atrocious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭toxicloan365

Absolute disaster....can't load fares for me, this evening.

Had to revert to their mobile app......it works well and is quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭toxicloan365

Nice "feature" on their website, whereby you can't join the 'Gold Club'. It's still looking for a 'Date Of Birth' field, after I have entered everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

Hi all, views so far:

FUNCTIONALITY: To be tested (generally a long extensive process for bug spotting)

DESIGN: 7/10

Initial overall view: Typical TBS RWD layout (not a bad thing) a few issues as below:

Typography/Fonts: Biggest concern overall, too small in places, hard to read, jaggy (alias issue) and the practice of placing text directly onto complex image backgrounds isn't a good idea without proper treatment.

The Mega menu is too big and sparse, little use of icon or imagery here which could be remedied with implementation of font-icons and hierarchical categorisation.

Other: little other visual interest or rich/key features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Mainly negative on askaboutmoney as well

from thread there:

1. Does anyone else find the new Aer Lingus website worse that the old one? When you looked at the old one you were able to get availability for a full month with prices attached....now it's only a week. I also cannot find out when some 2016 routes start. On the old one you were told the start dates. It also seems much slower to load.

2. I agree it's not great. They are quickly removing negative comments about it from their Facebook page. I hope it improves. The Ryanair website looks fantastic compared to it.

3. I agree too. Much more cumbersome, less relevant data displayed, also seems to take a lot longer to go through the booking process. How ever I'll still check the prices v. Ryanair because the seats are bigger and the staff a little more helpful once on the flight.

4. Me too I'm finding this a pain. Very frustrating!

5. It's a step backwards as far as I am concerned. You could browse a whole month's flights, plus prices, plus days of flights and sometimes if you hovered your mouse over your preferred date you could find out that they only had a few flights left at this price. They would also tell you the commencement dates of their seasonal flights. Now you are restricted to a week of flights. It's driving me mad trying to find out their commencement dates to Ibiza plus a few other destinations.
    I gave up yesterday and decided that Ryanair was actually easier to deal with. Both fly to where I want to go and Ryanair seems to be about €100 cheaper as well. Unfortunately their flight times are not as good as Aer Lingus. Why do companies do this? Next they will tell us it is what their customers asked for....the usual answer.

6. Having been on to their helpdesk and discussing it they told me to send any negative comments on the website itself that way the IT people will start to fix things.

7. I would suggest posting it on their Facebook page. They certainly need to look at their new system from a customer point of view. Having said that their Facebook page seems to be all about the Irish Rugby team rather than answering their customer questions that are building up.

8. They are furiously deleting all negative posts from their Facebook page. I don't think that the new website is going down well with the public at all. I really hope that they improve on it.
    The new Ryanair website is not great either. I was checking flights to two different locations. The scroll bar held the dates of my previous search. So for example I was looking at a week in May for one destination and when I scrolled back looking for prices for the previous week it was showing me the dates for the previous search that I had done. I could have easily thought that I was actually looking at the previous week when in fact it was a random week for a completely different search.

9. I have also just attempted to use the new Aer Lingus site. Find it hard to understand why they have decreased the timespans available to view. That was one of the good things about the old version - that the average user could compare prices on any given combination of days fairly easily and decide on the best. Now it's ridiculously difficult to do that.
    The new page has the feel of a site geared to business users on fixed timetables. Does this portend a move away from 'cheap' flights by Aer Lingus ? Hope that's not the case.
    All the adverts on upgrading between the 'Go' and 'Return' prices also make it difficult to see both legs of the journey at the same time.
    Pretty awful site now compared to the ease of use of the old version.

10. There are lots of problems with this site. For example the "start again" button to click on is now half way down the page. I hadn't noticed it and I was constantly clicking the back arrow up in the corner of the page to start again. The type is also very large, making it hard to notice other stuff further down the page.
    Aer Lingus ran a news campaign about two weeks ago inviting it's customers to Book for Summer 2016. Yet a spokesperson on their Facebook page is saying that the summer schedule is not ready yet.
    I asked a question on their Facebook page and it was deleted that same day without being answered to or replied to.
    Someone has the idea that if they delete it all will go away!

11. An absolute joke of a site. Slow as hell. Ryanair's the same. Do they actually check with customers before going ahead with these new sites ?

Advertisement