Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black and White television licence

Options
  • 15-09-2015 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

There is a big thread on a British forum about how they still have a black and White television licence and it got me wondering when was it abolished in Ireland ? How many black and White licences were in use when it was abolished ? Was there any outcry at the time about it being an attack on the poor etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,070 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a big thread on a British forum about how they still have a black and White television licence and it got me wondering when was it abolished in Ireland ? How many black and White licences were in use when it was abolished ? Was there any outcry at the time about it being an attack on the poor etc ?

2003, and no. Black and white has been no cheaper to broadcast since a few years after colour came in so it was a ridiculous anachronism and realistically, "the poor" were no more likely (if not a lot less) to have a B/W TV by 2003

When was the last time you knew anyone with a B/W TV?

The rise in 2003 was exceptionally hefty after it had been static for a while. Currently its risen €10 / 6% in 12 years so hopefully they don't get that idea again!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

L1011 wrote: »
    The rise in 2003 was exceptionally hefty after it had been static for a while. Currently its risen €10 / 6% in 12 years so hopefully they don't get that idea again!

Very unfair considering that there were no increases in the licence fee in the last 7 years.

Elmo wrote: »
    Very unfair considering that there were no increases in the licence fee in the last 7 years.
    That was my point. There has been a lull in the 90s and they ramped hugely

That was my point. There has been a lull in the 90s and they ramped hugely

The lull in the late 80s early 90s was politically, the lull now is more economic.

Elmo wrote: »
    The lull in the late 80s early 90s was politically, the lull now is more economic.

2003 wasn't the early 90s...

• Advertisement

2003 wasn't the early 90s...

I am saying the lull happened in the 80s and 90s

Almost every 2 years during the 2000s saw an increase.

Advertisement