Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for a return GP visit?

Options
  • 15-09-2015 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hey,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this, but I couldn't find a dedicated HSE section.

Basically I went to my GP September 2014 with bad sinuses, he referred me to ENT in Beaumont but of course I'm still on the waiting list.
    In the meantime he gave me a steroid spray to alleviate the symptoms and specifically said he was happy to renew that prescription as long as I need it.

I tried to get one yesterday and was told that the doctor wants to see me before she'll give me the prescription (he and she, she's the named doctor but seems to have a male doctor on when she's not available).

That's fine, but I don't want to pay €50 just to walk in, her to see that my sinuses are still fecked and then tell me to hang on in there and gives me a prescription.

I've heard that if you're returning to your GP with a problem that still isn’t resolved, you don't have to pay the €50 again as it's technically part of the same thing you originally went in for.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, I can't seem to find anything on the HSE website or Citizens Information.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Undead wrote: »
    I've heard that if you're returning to your GP with a problem that still isn’t resolved, you don't have to pay the €50 again as it's technically part of the same thing you originally went in for.

No such concept exists.

Additionally, while some GPs charge less for follow up visits, expecting that a full year later is not going to happen.

If its just a prescription renewal visit, some charge less for that but that's down to the individual GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My GP would charge €50 per visit, but if I'm back for the same it would be €20 if I come back myself and sometimes €10 if he asks me to come back say in a week or two..

I don't think there is any structure that they must follow..

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Damn, I thought it was too good to be true! Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement