Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros - How are ye sorting photos on your website backend?

Options
  • 15-09-2015 12:45am

Howdy folks.

My site is shanemaguire.ie. Simple enough photo theme on a wordpress site. I find it does everything I need.

There's a past events section that I only ever updated when people asked about specific events, but even that only lasted briefly until i got too lazy to keep updating it.

However, I've decided to attempt to commit myself to updating that past events section with everything I've done since 2012.

Pretty much, each page gets it's own 'page' on wordpress, for sorting. Effectively, when I log in I am looking at this:

wordpresspasges.jpg

Now that's all well and good for what I currently have (not a lot of stuff). However, I have currently got 60 'pages' on my site (one is for booking, one is for contact, etc and each 'past event' has it's own page).

The issue I have is that if I want to add everything I've done I'll be into having to upload thousands of events. Obviously this is completely impractical once it starts to get into those kind of numbers, so as much as I want to press on with it, it seems like:

1. Actually performing the task of doing this would be a pain in the hole, as everything is uploaded and named individually.

2. Once it's done, I'll have thousands of 'pages' which will make it a nightmare trying to edit the normal pages ("contact", "about", etc).

So was just wondering if anyone out there has any practical suggestions. I've seen a few online ideas but most are geared to what I already have (uploading a handful of events, or making a gallery).

I haven't updated my website in, possibly, about 2 years (with the exception of adding the odd event here or there) but I've renewed it for 3 years and now I want to try and re-jig it a bit to try and make it either a bit more profitable or a bit easier to use (on my end, I'm happy enough with how it operates from a browser's standpoint).

I'm also not too keen to spend megabucks on it (at least certainly not on a recurring basis). Buying something outright seems fine, but I don't want to sign up to a system of weekly/monthly billing for something.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

Your events button shows some pages,some of which are password protected, and some months.
    If you want to show pages that you have removed/trashed/hidden you can bulk re-instate them.
    You do this by going to tab on top left of the screen shot, see bulk edit,the menu there offers changes, open one page on the list, make the changes you want on this page it will update all pages and click apply.

Then go to appearance,menus, check all, and they will be in the menu and place them under past events.
    An easier way would be to make a custom menu for past events, put it in the sidebar or the footer.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

So you have a blog page for each of your photographic gigs. and you have given it a name and a date.

unfortunately you are the only person that can connect the information like names dates etc with the images. you cannot really automate that.

you could just email blog posts to your site if that is more efficient and add some images and add other images later, maybe you could set up some email template that took the date and then request the name of the organisation and then you would have some of the info done. you could dump all the images into a gallery post and then link to that.

would that help

Not particularly.. I've probably described poorly what it is that I want to do.

Pretty much, my site (in theory) is great.

Let's say for argument sake, I shot Sheesh and Paric together, at an event in Croke Park, on the 17th of June 2015. If you're interested in seeing the picture, you can go to my site, and hover over events, from that point on, all you really need is to navigate to the event. It's not difficult to find yourself using my current system.

It works great, and better yet, if you are on my homepage and simply navigate to the very bottom, there's a search bar where you can type "sheesh" and the picture will come up. Brilliant stuff. If you decide to buy a copy of the photo, I'm quids in and I haven't lifted a finger, and you've found your photo easy enough (once you've found my site, that is).

However, in order for me to do that, would require, literally, thousands of 'pages' on my site on the back end, making navigating the site an absolute nightmare (if I needed to add, edit or remove anything). Finding pages would be an enormous pain in the ass and adding them would become more and more troublesome.

The advanced page manager that FrozenFrozen linked to above looked interesting, but unfortunately it still wouldn't solve my problems.

Ideally, I'd like something that allows me to stack pages within wordpress. So even on the backend, instead of having every single page laid out, I could have a page called 2015, within that, 12 pages for each month, and within that, a page for each event within that month (kind of like how you'd organise things on your PC, etc.).

I know a chap that uses photoshelter, but I'm not sold on it for some reason. It's been a while since I've used it (either from the front as a customer, or on the backend working for a photo agency) but I can't recall it being very good for some reason, and if I recall correctly, it was a fairly pricy system to run (monthly payments, I believe, which I'd rather avoid).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

So what you need is a plugin that lets you lets you enter date, event and lets you load a pictures into a gallery template on your page and let the user search for themselves just forget the names.

I suppose you could record yourself saying the persons name link that to the capture time of the photograph and use voice recognition software to write in the name sync the capture time and name and then post it.
    But that is complicated.

How do you record the names currently? a pen and paper?

you could use a tablet only write it once then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

You need to invest in some gallery software for your website. What you are proposing is lunacy and something like Sytist would make this a simple task.

sheesh wrote: »
    So what you need is a plugin that lets you lets you enter date, event and lets you load a pictures into a gallery template on your page and let the user search for themselves just forget the names.

I suppose you could record yourself saying the persons name link that to the capture time of the photograph and use voice recognition software to write in the name sync the capture time and name and then post it.
    But that is complicated.

How do you record the names currently? a pen and paper?

you could use a tablet only write it once then.

When I actually take your photo, I use pen and paper, but when I get home I use PhotoMechanic to caption the photo file itself, so the info stays with the file (and makes it searchable).

You need to invest in some gallery software for your website. What you are proposing is lunacy and something like Sytist would make this a simple task.

Don't think I've ever heard of this; I'll have to take a look.

Advertisement