Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cokin filters with a nikon D3200

Options
  • 14-09-2015 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭

Has anyone experience of cokin filters with a nikon D3200. The person is a beginner wanting to do shots with long exposure and also get deep colours.

would this be good for a beginner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

JonJones wrote: »
    Has anyone experience of cokin filters with a nikon D3200. The person is a beginner wanting to do shots with long exposure and also get deep colours.

would this be good for a beginner

They are grand, just better if used pre and post sunrise/sunset as direct sunlight causes a lot of colour cast, imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

mystic86 wrote: »
    They are grand, just better if used pre and post sunrise/sunset as direct sunlight causes a lot of colour cast, imo
    Thanks. so you would say they are not suitable in the day time? would a circular pl be better even though one would be needed for each lens

Thanks. so you would say they are not suitable in the day time? would a circular pl be better even though one would be needed for each lens

they don't do the same job at all, so no..

The cokin filters are for balancing the brightness levels between the sky and the ground as the sky is usually much brighter

they don't do the same job at all, so no..

The cokin filters are for balancing the brightness levels between the sky and the ground as the sky is usually much brighter
    aren't some of them all dark to the same degree not gradually?

aren't some of them all dark to the same degree not gradually?

yes, true, but whats the correlation with a circular polarizer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The colour cast can be easily corrected by adjustment in the RAW conversion.

There are various types of neutral density filters. Some are just stoppers and will restrict the light by the stated amount. Others are graduated and will transition from clear to dark across the filter, with the width of the transition also varying depending on type. One of the problems is that it can look odd when the horizon is not straight. Personally I prefer to balance the exposure in post production, so only use non graduated filters for long exposures.

CabanSail wrote: »
    The colour cast can be easily corrected by adjustment in the RAW conversion.

There are various types of neutral density filters. Some are just stoppers and will restrict the light by the stated amount. Others are graduated and will transition from clear to dark across the filter, with the width of the transition also varying depending on type. One of the problems is that it can look odd when the horizon is not straight. Personally I prefer to balance the exposure in post production, so only use non graduated filters for long exposures.

Have you tried them? I wouldn't agree at all, I found it impossible at times, I know others who have used them who've said the same thing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have not used Cokin but have used Hoya and other brands.

What do you find impossible, colour correction or exposure balancing?

yes, true, but whats the correlation with a circular polarizer?
    I understood you to say the cokins were gradually darker and I was asking would a circular be better. But since some of the cokins are all the same level of filter would they not do the same, The problems is you need e circular for each lens

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have not used Cokin but have used Hoya and other brands.

What do you find impossible, colour correction or exposure balancing?

colour correction, sometimes you can but a lot of the time you can't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

You're referring to two different types of filters:

1. Neutral Density Graduated filters (ND grads)
    2. Neutral Density Standards or Fulls

-Grads are always square/rectangular resin or glass panels which help you balance exposure in a scene between dark and light areas (like sky and land).
    -ND fulls are for blocking light to achieve certain effects by allowing you to leave the shutter open longer. These come in either
    (a) circular screw-on form or (b) exactly like ND grads where they can be placed in front of the lens in a holder.

Cokin do both ND Grads and Full NDs as square panels which can be placed in front of the lens and as such would be a fine system for either job.

[Circular polarizers (CPs) are not really related. They LOOK like screw-on NDs but they do a different job, although they incidentally block some light while doing it.]

Myksyk wrote: »
    You're referring to two different types of filters:

1. Neutral Density Graduated filters (ND grads)
    2. Neutral Density Standards or Fulls

-Grads are always square/rectangular resin or glass panels which help you balance exposure in a scene between dark and light areas (like sky and land).
    -ND fulls are for blocking light to achieve certain effects by allowing you to leave the shutter open longer. These come in either
    (a) circular screw-on form or (b) exactly like ND grads where they can be placed in front of the lens in a holder.

Cokin do both ND Grads and Full NDs as square panels which can be placed in front of the lens and as such would be a fine system for either job.

[Circular polarizers (CPs) are not really related. They LOOK like screw-on NDs but they do a different job, although they incidentally block some light while doing it.]
    Thanks:) Have you seen http://www.cokin-filters.com/nuances/

Advertisement