Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding comidian Dave young or frank ford???

Options
  • 14-09-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Has anyone been to a wedding where there had been a comidian entertaining, my brother is looking to get a comidian for his wedding, he has been recomened 2 guys, dave young and another guy frank ford, has any one seen any of them entertain??
    Post edited by Faith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

At a wedding recently and Dave Young did a session at it. First time I've ever come across having a comedian at a wedding. He talked to a few of us beforehand to get more info about the groom but ended up using none of it - just peddled out probably the same jokes he does at every wedding.

If there are going to be plenty of older folk at the wedding then I would say to strongly reconsider on this as many of them were very offended by some of the things he made jokes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Never heard of this! I must be a bit of a traditionalist but give me a nice meal and some good wine and I'm happy. Is it not about the couple on their very happy day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Google for the youtube video........ Rachel and Owen, Film Highlights, Aerial Drone Footage
    Frank Forde is in action about half way through this vid.

Might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Falf

At a wedding recently and Dave Young did a session at it. First time I've ever come across having a comedian at a wedding. He talked to a few of us beforehand to get more info about the groom but ended up using none of it - just peddled out probably the same jokes he does at every wedding.

If there are going to be plenty of older folk at the wedding then I would say to strongly reconsider on this as many of them were very offended by some of the things he made jokes about.

This is the thing and it's what iv been saying to the brother, the offence it could cause might ruin it, but then agin i was thinking who ever the comidian is that entertains at wedding, surly if he's a pro he can adjust to suit the guests that are there, young and old...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I was at a wedding with dave young and I did not like it at all. Very very crude,pure cringe sorting there embarrassed ah what he was coming out with. I'm not old ! He also went on for an hour, which was way too long. It was a shame because they had a great band,would have better give them the hour.

• Advertisement

Clarebelly wrote: »
    Google for the youtube video........ Rachel and Owen, Film Highlights, Aerial Drone Footage

Might help.

Jus had a look, noting wrong there, good crack, looks like frank caters for all....

Thank u clarebelly

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Jonotti

Clarebelly wrote: »

Might help.

Jesus christ. I can't think of anything worse.

Jonotti wrote: »
    Jesus christ. I can't think of anything worse.

Ha ha Relax old timer its you not getting married, I think its good crack, it's different, ha ha better if lights We're dimed a bit....

I'd prob say Jesus if it was dave young.!!

Has anyone else seeing a comidian at a wedding???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I could think of better things to spend €1000 on!

I could think of better things to spend €1000 on!

How do you know it cost €1000??

I couldn't see it costing a grand more like €500 and Id say money well spent...
    Iv just looked up frank ford and see him recomened on the late late show...
    Also why not have someting different, weddings today are more like clock work... After all I think most only get married once...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Jonotti

Falf wrote: »

Also why not have someting different, weddings today are more like clock work... After all I think most only get married once...

No, the norm these days is to try and do something different. Every wedding now has some gimmick but nothing is really new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd hate to go to a wedding with a comedian to be honest.
    I want to go chat, laugh, dance and enjoy myself.
    I'd tell your Bro to seriously reconsider

Jonotti wrote: »
    No, the norm these days is to try and do something different. Every wedding now has some gimmick but nothing is really new.

Ok fair enough....
    At first I tought, yes it could be offensive, but then I seen the vid and laughed along, I didn't see anything offensive, infact wat I seen was everybody there enjoying it, but having said that, I'm not getting good feed back on this form...

So what do you recomend to try and do different??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I was speaking to someone about their wedding next year and it was around that price for Dave Young. I will double check and let you know.

I was speaking to someone about their wedding next year and it was around that price for Dave Young. I will double check and let you know.

Yep I checked it out dave young charges €1800 to do a wedding in Galway so that's that out the window, frank ford charges €500-€700 depends on wat part of country your in...

Iv mentioned it to a few and I'm getting good feed back, apparently the comidian
    Comes on jus after the meal between band and meal and what I'm hearing is that it's a great way to fill in between meal and band, it also breaks ice if you don't know who at your table gives them sometin to talk and laugh about..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Comes on jus after the meal between band and meal and what I'm hearing is that it's a great way to fill in between meal and band, it also breaks ice if you don't know who at your table gives them sometin to talk and laugh about..

Do you mean just after the speeches?
    For me, that's one of the best parts of a wedding day... everyone is fed, the wine is going down, everyone is elated after the speeches and it's time to mingle / hit the bar / catch up with friends / family... and await the music.
    If that's also the time they come on, that's the same time people can leave their tables, so it's not exactly helping 'break the ice' with the table guests.
    If someone else took the mic for an hour, that'd give the guests a sense they had to sit down and endure it.
    Sure, many of us like a good comedian, but there's a time and a place. A wedding just isn't it. It isn't a corporate function.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Do you mean just after the speeches?
    For me, that's one of the best parts of a wedding day... everyone is fed, the wine is going down, everyone is elated after the speeches and it's time to mingle / hit the bar / catch up with friends / family... and await the music.
    If that's also the time they come on, that's the same time people can leave their tables, so it's not exactly helping 'break the ice' with the table guests.
    If someone else took the mic for an hour, that'd give the guests a sense they had to sit down and endure it.
    Sure, many of us like a good comedian, but there's a time and a place. A wedding just isn't it. It isn't a corporate function.

Yes your right it isn't a corporate function, but havin said that he does not come on for that long its not as if you have to sit there and watch him for most of the eve, it's just a bit of banter and from what I hear he acutely gives a nice speech himself regarding the cupple at the end and brings it to a close with everyone on there feet clapping and gerring...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Ok fair enough....
    At first I tought, yes it could be offensive, but then I seen the vid and laughed along, I didn't see anything offensive, infact wat I seen was everybody there enjoying it, but having said that, I'm not getting good feed back on this form...

So what do you recomend to try and do different??

Try taking the photos BEFORE the wedding instead of making people hang around for 2 or 3 hours waiting. It will be the most popular wedding of the year, and very different indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be honest.
    Your brother knows his guests the best and whether they'd like a comedian or not. I know the majority of my family would love it and would pick it over a Band/D.J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Just saw that youtube video of the comedian Frank Forde at a wedding. Oh my god it is terrible.

I would hate to be at a wedding with a comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Each to their own but I've been to two weddings that both had comedians, I've heard of it quite a bit over the last few years too as well, the comedians were very good comedians but for me it didn't sit well with the situation, the person above who describes the time between the meal and the band has it exactly as to why I felt this way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Just noting that some threads have been bumped by a person shilling (the posts have been deleted), so they are not particularly current. I won't bother locking these threads; this note is just FYI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

D9Male wrote: »
    Just saw that youtube video of the comedian Frank Forde at a wedding. Oh my god it is terrible.

I would hate to be at a wedding with a comedian.
    I would be mortified and cringing and after 5 minutes or so I'd be going out to sit in the bar or wherever
    Why oh why do couples feel that they have to try and out do all the other weddings they were at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gercremore

Have just experienced a wedding set by Dave Young at a very well known venue at Kingcourt. Co Cavan. Rude...crude..racist...misogynist...homophobic....he even managed to use Ukranian refugees as suitable for mention in his petformance!!! A tasteless derivative act drawing on material from other world-class comedians past and present. I cannot understand how this could ever be called entertainment or witty or clever. Does not deserves an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

That Frank Forde clip is something else, sweet Jesus ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads this thread is 7 years old...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Good point, @Dial Hard , things have probably changed a lot in that time so I'll lock this thread now. Future threads can be started if future recommendations are sought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement