Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TPLINK TD-W8968 3g setup

Options
  • 14-09-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi,

i have mobile broadband with three, i just got a TPLINK TD-W8968 3g modem/router. it says on setup via the CD to connect my ASDL cable to the modem but I only have the dongle thing?

If i log into the modem itself (tplinkmdem.net), I follow all the steps but at the end I have no broadband connection, any ideas?

thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Go through the steps from the start, who's the broadband provider, what service have you signed up for, did they provide any equipment or configuration details?

Edit: The first line didn't display until I reloaded it! What details have 3 provided?

I presume you've followed these steps?
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-479.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lifeonmars2016

i followed those steps on your link, used the details that 3 provided. the only difference is that i logged in to the modem on tplinkmodem.net not 196.168.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

i followed those steps on your link, used the details that 3 provided. the only difference is that i logged in to the modem on tplinkmodem.net not 196.168.1.1

What colours are you seeing on the USB modem?

on the modem the power light, the wifi light, the usb light and LAN connection light are on or flashing.

• Advertisement

on the modem the power light, the wifi light, the usb light and LAN connection light are on or flashing a yellow colour.

the dongle itself is showing a blue light

on the modem the power light, the wifi light, the usb light and LAN connection light are on or flashing a yellow colour.

the dongle itself is showing a blue light

Solid blue, not flashing?
    does it work when connected to it over ethernet?

long_b wrote: »
    Solid blue, not flashing?
    does it work when connected to it over ethernet?

Solid blue, no connection over Ethernet.

Solid blue, no connection over Ethernet.

Did you try Quick Setup? As below
    http://www.maccomputerlessons.com/how_to_install_tp_link_wireless_router_quick_setup_wizard_apple_mac.htm

Anything in the logs?
    These may be under a System Tools menu on the left somewhere)

Have you managed to get a connection if you connect the dongle directly to the PC?

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Have you managed to get a connection if you connect the dongle directly to the PC?

The dongle is from 3, works fine on the PC. I have no ASDL connection.

When I run thru the quick setup on the modem, at the end it just says , no ADSL connection, no 3G connection, maybe the modem is unplugged.

The dongle is from 3, works fine on the PC. I have no ASDL connection.

When I run thru the quick setup on the modem, at the end it just says , no ADSL connection, no 3G connection, maybe the modem is unplugged.
    So just to confirm, when you plug the dongle into the pc directly via USB you get a 3G connection and can browse the Internet?

What model is the 3G dongle? Is it on any of the country lists here

I can use the internet no probs when dongle is in the PC.

Huawei 353 from 3, it's on the list and 3 said it was compatable.

I can use the internet no probs when dongle is in the PC.

Huawei 353 from 3, it's on the list and 3 said it was compatable.

Anything in the log ?

long_b wrote: »
    Anything in the log ?

Nothing in the log that makes sense to me!

Should I be changing settings on the dongle itself, like the IP address?

Nothing in the log that makes sense to me!

Should I be changing settings on the dongle itself, like the IP address?

I'm not sure.

Could you try clearing the log, attaching the dongle again and then post the contents of the log here ?
    Might get someone thinking.

So, basically the modem I had was for an ASDL with a 3G connection as backup, it has to have an ASDL connection primarily which I didn't. I went on to the tplink site and found the modem I needed, TL-MR3420. Into Harvey Normans, swapped the modems, took me longer to open the damn box than to set it up! Power it up and it worked instantly!

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement