Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting wooden fence - stain or paint?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭

My boundary fence at the front of the house is looking tired and I want to paint it black.

I seen some wood paint in the big DIY stores which came from a new range of pastel shades too, but wondering should I use paint or buy black wood stain instead?

Which would need less prep?
    Which would cover better?
    Which would last longer?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Depends a lot on the wood used for the fence.

A stain is only a means of colouring the wood nothing else. Of course you could use a stain/preserver coating.

Stain only requires less prep, but does nothing to preserve the material, unless its a stain/preserver.
    Stain has great coverage..

Stain or paint requires on going maintainence, probably every 2 years at least. Wood is a material that expands
    and contracts and therefore is prone to allowing weathering damage , as any oil based paint covering will crack
    during movement, hence the ongoing maintainence.

Unlesss of course you have a very durable wood used in your fence, like teak, cedar or maybe larch.

Advertisement