Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fungus ID

Options
  • 14-09-2015 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

I found these growing last year and again this year in the very same place.They grow at the base of a young sycamore tree in a small wood which is boggy.They grow on the tree roots and are very similar to truffles but are overground.
    They have lots of different shapes and smell slightly of mushroom and also a slight sweet perfume smell.There is not much of a taste to them.
    The white flesh is hard and similar to coconut texture.
    image(1).jpg

image.jpg

2015-09-09 19.23.47.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Dead Man's Fingers Xylaria polymorpha, perhaps?
    This link shows Xylaria polymorpha growing on a Sycamore stump:
    http://www.ispotnature.org/node/304004

They vary greatly in shape, hence the name 'polymorpha'.

A similar species, Xylaria longipes, known commonly as Dead Moll's Fingers is also a possibility, and is largely confined to dead Sycamore wood.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to taste any fungi which I'm not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Agree with bonedigger - Xylaria polymorpha for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Dead Man's Fingers Xylaria polymorpha, perhaps?
    This link shows Xylaria polymorpha growing on a Sycamore stump:
    http://www.ispotnature.org/node/304004

They vary greatly in shape, hence the name 'polymorpha'.

A similar species, Xylaria longipes, known commonly as Dead Moll's Fingers is also a possibility, and is largely confined to dead Sycamore wood.

Personally, I wouldn't be attempting to taste any fungi which I'm not familiar with.

thanks,dead mans fingers is what they are......i showed them to a friend and he took a bite and swallowed it.He was fine the next day so i tasted a little bit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

gillad wrote: »
    thanks,dead mans fingers is what they are......i showed them to a friend and he took a bite and swallowed it.He was fine the next day so i tasted a little bit too.

Your friend might not be as lucky the next time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone have any idea what this is? found growing under a birch tree (there were some leylandii taken out last year nearby, but on the other side of the birch from this specimen, so i'm not sure the leylandii roots would have been what this one was growing from).
    there are some larger specimens, up to about 8cm across, but they're in a sorry state now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

anyone have any idea what this is? found growing under a birch tree (there were some leylandii taken out last year nearby, but on the other side of the birch from this specimen, so i'm not sure the leylandii roots would have been what this one was growing from).
    there are some larger specimens, up to about 8cm across, but they're in a sorry state now.

Possibly a Hebeloma species - Usually have a distinct smell of radish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, my friend's six year old son told me it was a destroying angel, but i suspect most mushrooms are destroying angels to him.

Advertisement