Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Masters - Supplemental exam grade capped at 40%

Options
  • 14-09-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I would like to know if there is anything I could do regarding this disturbing decision that even if you have 100% on your supplemental exam, you can't get more than 40%. My grade was 70% and they told me that there is no way that they can write my real grade anywhere even along the 40% grade and stating that I took the exam for the second time.

I have been working full time and studying full time masters.

So on a PhD interview who is going to believe me that that I didn't get 40%?

Anyway, this rule is really destroying students and there has to be something that can be done about it. Especially for the Masters student.

I talked to the Examination office twice but they stick to the theory that those are the rules and regulations that have been there for a long time and that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I also talked to the chair of department who claims the same.

If anyone can give any advice about what can be done in this case, I would be grateful. I will also write to the Academic Affairs in Rathmines.

Thank you!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I sat a supplemental exam too (undergraduate though), and received 40% overall but I could see the real grade when I checked my results online. I just had to click onto the CRN link.

Could be different for a masters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lucy007

I can see my results, yes, but I need it official on the transcripts. Or in any other official form from the School

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If they gave the full score for repeats I would image some students would game the system to get a better score overall as they wouldn't have to study all subjects at once.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

This is how it is with many repeat exams in universities. It might not be what you want to hear, but if you wanted a higher percentage you needed to get it right the first time around. Understand that you're potentially being given an unfair advantage taking a second shot at an exam, even if the paper is different. There has to be some sort of compensatory mechanism, otherwise why would anyone bother to do their best on every initial exam?
    Anyway, this rule is really destroying students and there has to be something that can be done about it.
    Yeah, but they failed the first time... How much sympathy can you have, really? Passing is surely a better situation then being told you can't continue. Passing grades in universities are quite low... Working full time and doing a course at the same time is tough but the college can't make exceptions for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

lucy007 wrote: »
    I have been working full time and studying full time masters.

The college don't care about this. In my course, we're always told "this is a full-time course. Just because you don't have contact hours with lecturers, doesn't mean you're off. That time is for self-directed learning."

It's called full-time for a reason. Getting an education is your job while you're there. If you want to work full-time, then you should be studying part-time.

All I can say is, it's going to stay at 40%. This is the way it is. If students are so concerned about a grade "destroying" them, then they'll work hard enough in the exams to pass, in my opinion. Now you'll know for next time.

And I recommend you don't tell people at your PhD interviews that you got 70% in the repeat exams. It doesn't sound impressive saying "oh, I failed first time around but I got 70% in the repeats." They'll be wondering why you didn't apply yourself the first time around if you had that capability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It won't come up in a PhD interview,

The system is there to stop people conning the system. In some courses if you fail the hons then you can only get an Ord degree even if you repeat the year.

In my MSc if you fail any exam or miss the exam. You cannot get a first class honours / distinction.

Basically don't fail or get a deferral before the day.

My CV does not mention my MSc grade and I don't remember the last time I seen one on any application I received.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

The only way you can get past being capped at 40% is if you have extenuating circumstances (i.e. debilitating illness [mental illness included] that you can back up with evidence) that you submit to the college to be considered at the June exam board, so that you sit the supplemental as though it was your first time. As this has passed, I'm not sure there's much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

As people have mentioned already - I know people who defaulted on their exams deliberately so they could have more time to study and increase their chance of a 1.1.

Capping 'repeats' at 40% cuts this out. Of course, if you had a medical issue etc you would not be capped on the repeat.

Advertisement