Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soprano Singer who has lost their way

Options
  • 14-09-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not been asked to do this and would be killed if I was found out to be doing this but anyway......

My girlfriend turned 26 today and she (for personal reasons) left college after she got her Masters in performing and after going to years of singing lessons to train her voice from a world renound tenor she decided to do a PGCE but she always regrets not pursuing a singing career as a solo artist or in musicals.

She has a fabulous voice and I hate to see her amazing talent ruined. Can send any interested parties a video of her!

She feels she is now too old and no matter what I say to try and convince her otherwise she won't have it.

Anybody have any contacts that would spare a minute or 2 to listen to her and perhaps give her a chance? As I said I can send on a video of her doing what she does best.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cre8joy

Hi,

I find it really sweet that you do that for your gf!

Well, I dont know if it will, but maybe sharing my story helps... I was always into singing, since I was a child. I never did anything with it, apart from taking it to karaoke bars, which took me a few years due to my stage fright. I was always singing at home for myself because I was just terrified of the judgement of other people. Well, I am 32 now and just starting to overcome my shyness. Sometimes I like to think I could be living a totally different life if I just had had the courage to step out and do something with my talent when I was younger!

Now, your gf has the education and as far as it sounds also some contacts she could use. I have none of that. I am Austrian, just moved to Ireland 8 months ago and slowly but surely start singing in front of other people. I need to have some guts and a huge bucket of luck to make it even in a pub for a few bucks.

It sounds that she is seriously in fear of her own greatness. Success is never a question of age, but of courage. Maybe the question she needs to ask herself is, why she thinks she cant make it. Is her goal too big? Too far away? Too unrealistic?

I recommend a copy of a book called "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrnes. She can do anything she wants. Everything is achievable, it is a mindset.

All the best to you and certainly to her as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Thank you so much that was most helpful and I will definitely buy a copy of that book for her.

That is a very inspirational post, especially from someone who is foreign to these shores and had a lot of obstacles to overcome.

I suppose her goal wouldnt be too unrealistic, she is just afraid of leaving her family as she is an only child......I also think she believes that she isnt good enough and when people say how fantastic she is, she just thinks they are being nice!

Great credit to you for your bravery and your advice is very much appreciated thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cre8joy

You are more than welcome :)

I hope she will see for herself how great she is and goes out doing what she loves to do!

Advertisement