Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Sat Nav

• 14-09-2015 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So lying in the park on a lovely day oh hols I rolled over with the Sat Nav in my pocket and smashed the screen - a €300 Garmin. Sheepishly approached the wife (Oh controller of the finances) expecting a bollocking and she said 'Brilliant thank F**k'. The Garmin Nuvi I bought has been nothing but a pain in the arse in finding things, crashing and generally being crap.

The in laws have a Tom Tom from c. 1850 which is excellent. The Megan we rented had a built in TomTom system which was sublime.

Any suggestions for a cheap one to get me from A to B, don't really need traffic or anything. Life time Europe wide maps would be nice.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

PS Brian Blessed directions would be ideal! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a phone app instead.

Btw, there is a dedicated GPS forum here if you have detail questions.

edit, thread moved by another motors mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I find Google maps the business. It's regularly updated and completely free. Can download maps for offline use also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

biko wrote: »
    Get a phone app instead.

Btw, there is a dedicated GPS forum here if you have detail questions.

Ah sorry Biko! Any chance you or a mod could move it please sorry to be a pain in the backside, shows how good I am at finding things!

Also the app is out I'm afraid. Mt HTC is bloody brilliant but the wife has an iphone and the GPS on it is terrible. Is it just the app maybe? The other thing is data rates abroad but maybe I'm missing something there?

Thanks for the advice on both counts.

The best thing about a phone app?
    You always have it with you and it won't cause scummers to break into the car to steal it.

Start with free http://navmii.com/ and see if that suffices. Is avaiable for all models of phones. I use it on a 5S with no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I find Google maps the business. It's regularly updated and completely free. Can download maps for offline use also.

Definitely. Business name search is also handy, no other GPS on the market will beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

5W30 wrote: »
    Definitely. Business name search is also handy, no other GPS on the market will beat that.
    Many businesses (if indeed they're in it which many aren't) are in completely the wrong place though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

I had Garmin before and hated, then got Navman and liked it but maps got old and Navman wasn't even offering renewal maps for my model. They were expensive too.

Then I did jailbreak my Navman unit, removed Navman software and installed iGO Pro. I'm using it now for second year in row and happy. Can find a plenty of latest maps for free on internet too.

Had a Tomtom XL a while and really liked it. Big screen, easy to use and update.
    But tbh I didn't like to have to put it away every time I left car parked somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I have a Garmin Nuvi 12/1300(??), but tried the phone with google maps for the first time recently and couldn't be bothered using the Garmin now.

I found the sat nav far too fiddly, slow and very difficult to actually enter destinations if anyway off the beaten path.

I'll keep the Garmin as back up for now, but would think twice about replacing it when the time comes.

Advertisement