Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

When you see a wasp, spider or any other creepy crawlies do you try to kill them or do you just move them away from you? I personally hate anything like them so I'll try to kill them or if I'm not that brave I'll get the fella to do it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If the spider's really big I kill them and leave them there for a while so any other spiders who come across the carcass know not to fuk with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I ignore them. Live and let live. Unless they land on me, then they must die, or escape in the process, nyeh

If the spider's really big I kill them and leave them there for a while so any other spiders who come across the carcass know not to fuk with me.

You should put up posters of your physique to scare them away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Pick them up with a pint glass and a piece of card and put them outside to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Spiders inside the borders of my dwelling are murdered on sight. Most other things are gently shooed outside.

If outside, I'll be the one to move. It's more their space than mine.

• Advertisement

I don't, as a rule kill spiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

There was a humongous spider awhile ago. It was scary. The cat killed it. The cat was forgiven for peeing on my stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

efb wrote: »
    You should put up posters of your physique to scare them away

You mean they'd all gather around mirin' and be easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

I run like my life depends on it from whatever room they're in and go to another room and close all the doors behind me. They terrify me, I'm a serious wimp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I try negotiate a peaceful surrender, to avoid bloodshed... (I hate cleaning that **** up) lol

With the exception of wasps/bees, which I kill on sight. Bees are like the Islamic fundamentalist of the insect world... They love death and suffering. So I give those evil fcukers plenty of both!

It's particularly fun to cut their heads off and watch their body try to find it's head. lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Don't kill them, just leave them be to do their duty.

Putting them outside is pointless too as they're a house spider, they'll die in the cold.

They mightn't be the nicest looking but they do us a massive favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Niemoj wrote: »

Putting them outside is pointless too as they're a house spider, they'll die in the cold.

I have to put them outside due to the ultra high pitched screams from certain members of the family. So I put them out beside the garage door and they just crawl under the door and back in again.

The giant house spider has venom... There are cases of people getting bites off them.

Someone went into cardiac arrest from one of their bites before.

They're not completely harmless like some people think. (Although they very rarely bite people)

You mean they'd all gather around mirin' and be easy pickings.

Ok.., I mean intimated rather than repulsed but...

What is that in Ireland, though? It's been years since I saw any insect life inside my home other than spiders. What are they killing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I sleep in the spare bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I don't kill spiders or bees. Always try to trap and release. Although the other night there was a humongous spider on the living room floor. I went to get a glass to trap it but when I came back one of the dogs had smushed it into the floor and was eating it.

Wasps and flies get sprayed with Raid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Spiders inside the borders of my dwelling are murdered on sight. Most other things are gently shooed outside.

If outside, I'll be the one to move. It's more their space than mine.

You can't go around murdering spiders. Have you no conscience? Spiders are in fact our best friends. You should never ever kill a spider. Here in Ireland the poor guys are harmless, it's callously cold hearted to kill the little guys. I also think it's cruel to kill wasps as well. There is no need to kill any insect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Spiders are our allies and should be left alone or relocated if causing distress. Wasps and bees I try to shepherd out the window. Flies are fair game for execution.

Interesting fact. A sleeping person will unknowingly swallow 4 lizards in an average lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Spiders are our allies and should be left alone or relocated if causing distress. Wasps and bees I try to shepherd out the window. Flies are fair game for execution.

Interesting fact. A sleeping person will unknowingly swallow 4 lizards in an average lifetime.

Are you sure you meant lizards?

• Advertisement

You can't go around murdering spiders. Have you no conscience? Spiders are in fact our best friends. You should never ever kill a spider. Here in Ireland the poor guys are harmless, it's callously cold hearted to kill the little guys. I also think it's cruel to kill wasps as well. There is no need to kill any insect.

Zero conscience on this front. Uninvited occupants in my dwelling get the boot. Literally, in their case.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the positives of having spiders in an Irish home...!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wasps are flyin' Nazis , everyone knows that.

When I go to the bottle bank the little fcuks are hanging round half drunk looking to cause a row and show off to their mates.

You guys are insect bullies. You think you're great killing a little creature. I think what you're doing is terrible.

Watch out for these little guys too: false widow spiders!

Usually found behind the wing mirrors on your car... Don't wanna get a bite off these guys!

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/spider-bite-left-irishman-intensive-4355821

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What is that in Ireland, though? It's been years since I saw any insect life inside my home other than spiders. What are they killing?
    Whatever they're killing, they're obviously doing it very efficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

You guys are insect bullies. You think you're great killing a little creature. I think what you're doing is terrible.

Thats a bit rich coming from a snake :D

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Whatever they're killing, they're obviously doing it very efficiently.

Or there's nothing, and there are very few spiders because they either die from hunger or the boot...

I also don't leave doors or windows open ever, which helps curtail the number of insects around.

Smidge wrote: »
    Thats a bit rich coming from a snake :D

I am a yodeling snake. I'm a comedian. I have my own show. I do acts, like a sing and dance snake. That aside now please. However you perceive me Smidge you cannot condone this spider killing, can you?

Or there's nothing, and there are very few spiders because they either die from hunger or the boot...

I also don't leave doors or windows open ever, which helps curtail the number of insects around.

Insects don't need doors or windows to get in. Pipes are their preferred method of ingress

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Insects don't need doors or windows to get in. Pipes are their preferred method of ingress

True, but both spiders and flies are a far more common occurrence when you leave giant rectangles of space open to the outdoors for long periods of time.

Advertisement