Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with a smoker, getting rid of smoke smell?

Options
  • 13-09-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if this is not the best place to post this thread! But was just hoping some people here may have some tips.
    I've recently moved from Cardiff back to Dublin and am currently living with my Dad until til I find a place of my own.
    I'm very grateful to have a place to live while I'm back home, but he does smoke very heavily, about 2/3 packs a day. He's perfectly entitled to of course, I've no issues with him smoking, its his choice, his house and his rules. The thing is though the house and our clothes regularly smell of smoke.
    Does anyone here have any tips on getting rid of the smell?
    I've seen apparently putting charcoal in a bowl is great? as well as cinnamon sticks? Also apparently having a wet towel in a smokey room is pretty good too? I was looking into air purifiers as well, but I'm not sure if they do anything in relation to smoke, and they seem pretty pricey too.

Anyway, any info will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Eh, are you a vaper?
    If you are I would be on a crusade to get him off that terrible habit (not just that he smokes, but fk me, up to 60 a day?) and onto vaping at the very least, quitting totally if possible.
    His house his rules are all fine and dandy, but I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

If it worked for Angela's cat smell ?
    Time for a Febreeze intervention me thinks

https://youtu.be/7j8CSYoCXkI

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Oh and I'm sorry I never actually answered your question before my soap box came out.
    The problem with a smokers house is that the smoke is infused into everything by now. Everything.
    And it won't be easy to get it out.
    You can start by washing the walls and ceiling, shampooing the furniture and carpets and all the while thoroughly airing the house. Incense sticks used regularly will mask the current smell quite pleasantly.
    Incense doesn't necessarily mean girly smells either, you can get some proper flavours, sandalwood will make the gaff smell like a joiners shop. Nice.

Advertisement