Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dresses for work

Options
  • 13-09-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for dresses for work. I would like knee length & with sleeves. It seems a lot are sleeveless so need something under them or else a jacket or cardigan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I like the look of the new Lennon Courtney dresses at Dunnes Stores. They look very well cut and apparently the fabrics are good quality (I can't say for sure as I haven't seen them in reality yet). http://www.dunnesstores.com/view-all/lennon-courtney-at-dunnes-stores/fcp-category/list#filters=Category!dresses&page=0
    Here's a few that are cheaper but very nice IMO!
    http://www.oasis-stores.com/bonnie-workwear-dress/dresses/oasis/fcp-product/5480714
    http://www.oasis-stores.com/asymmetric-wrap-dress/dresses/oasis/fcp-product/5606944
    http://ie.nextdirect.com/en/x6d7088s1#377982

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Many thanks for all those suggestions, would never have thought of Banana Republic even though i got a lovely dress from there in NYC .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What's your budget for work? Lately, I've found several good dresses, with sleeves, in LK Bennett and Hobbs, particularly in the sales.

I don't buy sleeveless office dresses anymore to be honest as you always have to wear a jacket or cardigan with them. Nice sleeves and preferably pockets are really good attributes on office dresses.

dudara wrote: »
    What's your budget for work? Lately, I've found several good dresses, with sleeves, in LK Bennett and Hobbs, particularly in the sales.

I don't buy sleeveless office dresses anymore to be honest as you always have to wear a jacket or cardigan with them. Nice sleeves and preferably pockets are really good attributes on office dresses.

I'd probably spent €80-€100 on a good dress that i know I would get wear out.

I would agree with regarding the sleeveless dress, always need something to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

People tree have some nice functional dresses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Banana Republic are usually good, seems to be a lot of black at the moment.

Carriag Donn stock a range called 'J'aime la vie' which make some nice wrap dresses round the €50 mark.

I've gotten two Helen McAlinden dresses on sale for <€100 in the past year. One in Arnotts and one in House of Fraser. HoF have this one at the moment, the colour may not be work suitable though? (It was so available in navy)
    http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Helen+McAlinden+V+Neck+Jersey+Dress/220259451,default,pd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Penny Black is another good brand to keep in mind for the sales.
    http://ie.pennyblack.com/dresses/c-202

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

fits wrote: »
    People tree have some nice functional dresses

Totally agree with this.
    Try NEXT and Warehouse too.
    COS can have some nice stuff also and what about Karen Millen?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I wear Mantaray dress to work.

I love that they are comfortable, bright and colourful and don't need ironing

• Advertisement

So many suggestions there that I wouldn't have thought of. Never heard of Peopletree so will have a good look there. Can't wait to get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has bought dresses from Ericdress.com? Getting ads for them on Boards and they seem to have lovely stuff, but they seem to be based in US? Which would probably mean there'd be duty and tax to pay.
    Interested to hear if anyone here has had any dealings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has bought dresses from Ericdress.com? Getting ads for them on Boards and they seem to have lovely stuff, but they seem to be based in US? Which would probably mean there'd be duty and tax to pay.

I've looked at the site and it seems they are based in Hong Kong; I didn't order from them after reading a few reviews that suggested long wait time for delivery, difficulty returning items, dodgy refund process and poor quality of clothing.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've looked at the site and it seems they are based in Hong Kong; I didn't order from them after reading a few reviews that suggested long wait time for delivery, difficulty returning items, dodgy refund process and poor quality of clothing.

Yeah I did a quick google and saw a few of those type of reviews, but was thinking you'd only really see people complaining about things online, but probably better safe than sorry.

I think when price is too good to be true then it's better to stay away.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think when price is too good to be true then it's better to stay away.
    It was more some of the dress styles that I was looking at rather than the prices! I'm trying to find similar on more regular sites but no luck...

It was more some of the dress styles that I was looking at rather than the prices! I'm trying to find similar on more regular sites but no luck...

Oh sorry I didn't mean it in that way. I tend to check prices quickly and if I they are too cheap it's a good indicator it's one of the questionable websites.

Ah yeah, I know what you mean.
    Certainly for branded goods, and price is also a good indicator of the quality of the clothes. Something might look great in a photo but is made from crap fabric or is like a rag when it arrives - been caught on Amazon a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

I ordered a couple of dresses off another website virtually identical to that ericdress.com one. Also based in China somewhere and the dresses were fairly rubbish when they arrived. Nothing at all like the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

http://www.dunnesstores.com/monochrome-checked-dress/dresses/dunnesstores/fcp-product/3810776?colour=black-ivory

I got this one in dunnes.... Smart and you can wear a long sleeve top if you are cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SandyMay

I wear business casual or higher attire and I love Dressbarn lately!dressbarn.com/dresses/all I love their dresses, slacks, blouses, and tanks for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

SandyMay wrote: »
    I wear business casual or higher attire and I love Dressbarn lately!dressbarn.com/dresses/all I love their dresses, slacks, blouses, and tanks for work.

Lovely stuff on this site-- what's the guide as to converting to UK sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Lovely stuff on this site-- what's the guide as to converting to UK sizes

Rule of thumb is add 4 - so a US8 is about UK12.

Dress Barn have a measurement chart here which might be more accurate.
    http://www.dressbarn.com/customer-service/size-charts/t

Just to update, I took a gamble and ordered a dress for work from this website, used PayPal to be safe and ordered a 2XL size after reading the reviews about clothes being small. It was under €35 including shipping from China.
    And surprised the dress arrived yesterday with DHL, just plain black collared wrap dress, it is great quality, heavy, lined fabric and fits well. I'm size 14 so even though it is in no way comparable, 2XL was good choice.
    Now a lot of the negative comments seemed to be about returning things and customer service but I didn't need this, so can't comment.

But I'm delighted with the dress. As it was below the threshold there was no import duty but there was VAT but as it was below €6 the courier company don't bother collecting it, so all in all it was worth the gamble :)

Advertisement