Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Chess Championships

Options
  • 13-09-2015 3:58pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On next weekend, 18th to 20th September.

Linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chesstity

You Can't play the open (over 1500) cdeb unless you are from Munster or have lived there for more than a year, and they're very strict on that apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

chesstity wrote: »
    You Can't play the open (over 1500) cdeb unless you are from Munster or have lived there for more than a year, and they're very strict on that apparently.
    Yes that's because it is the Munster Championship not an actual open. Same as the Irish Championship has entry restrictions (but a bit more provincial). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 south of the border

My understanding is that entry is open to all ICU members but titles can only be awarded to those who are originally from or resident in Munster for at least two years. So all are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

My understanding is that entry is open to all ICU members but titles can only be awarded to those who are originally from or resident in Munster for at least two years. So all are welcome!

Not quite. Only the Under 1500 section is open to all ICU members.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 must have a jest

Strong field in the top section with some interesting entries. Top 4 seeds barring late entries: Philip Short, Mel O'Cinneide, Paul Walsh, Rory Quinn.

I'll go for Rory Quinn to put a few wins together and take it with 4/5.

Any other brave predictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tedjennings

There is another point as to who can enter:
    If they are not registered with FIDE then they can only enter if they accept IRL as their federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Potential K vs KBN ending in O'Connell vs Walsh: http://www.munsterchessunion.org/live/live/games/championship/tfd.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

Interesting! They are playing with increments though so I imagine Paul will do it if it comes down to that

Nice finish by Paul!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

Incidentally I think 9.Bg5 is a mistake by Denis. That line is all about fighting for control of the e5 square so 9.Bg3 seems much more to the point. Black had a big advantage from the opening

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I didn't manage to put in a satisfactory performance myself but had a great weekend in Ennis all the same.
    The Munster Chess Union and all the organizers and players deserve great credit for making the tournament what it was. I'm already looking forward to the next edition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

Well done to Paul Walsh, Munster Champion 2015 on 4.5/6. He drew with joint Irish Champion Philip Short in a game I didn't see, beat Rory Quinn after grabbing a few pawns and then nicely diffusing Rory's activity and in the last round won a long grind against John Cassidy. Paul has won this title previously, but I suspect not when there was such a strong field present.

Advertisement