Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get a distinction?

Options
  • 13-09-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Doing a PLC at CarlowIFE in Software Development, I need 3 distinctions to get my Honours (Level 8) in Software Development at CarlowIT. There is a link with CarlowIFE and CarlowIT which means people who apply through the CAO for programmes at CarlowIT from CarlowIFE and who meet the required entry criteria (in my case 3 distinctions), to be offered a place in advance of the usual Round 1 offers. So as long as I get three distinctions I will get the course. My question is how hard is it to get a distinction? Does anyone have any tips to improve my chances of getting distinctions? I have a genuine interest in the course got Software Development in WIT but didnt take it so will be working hard. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flight From Death

Are you sure you will be guaranteed a place with 3 distinctions? Most of these FETAC links state the minimum requirements only. That means you will be competing for places with people who got a minimum of 3 distinctions (in other words; you'll most likely want more than 3.)

To address your question; the difficulty of the modules largely depends on your course and some modules are harder than others. I did a course in Digital Media and distinctions were very achievable in most modules. My advice is to put the head down, keep organized, hand up assignments on time, and be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Its not that hard to get a distinction. Work with your course tutors and do everthing that is required of you. Get as much information from them as they will give about what is expected and what you need to know for assesments/exams and you will get the distinctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Iopu wrote: »
    Its not that hard to get a distinction. Work with your course tutors and do everthing that is required of you. Get as much information from them as they will give about what is expected and what you need to know for assesments/exams and you will get the distinctions.

Thanks hopefully all goes well will be putting in the work need three distinctions to get Carlow IT software development

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Are you sure you will be guaranteed a place with 3 distinctions? Most of these FETAC links state the minimum requirements only. That means you will be competing for places with people who got a minimum of 3 distinctions (in other words; you'll most likely want more than 3.)

To address your question; the difficulty of the modules largely depends on your course and some modules are harder than others. I did a course in Digital Media and distinctions were very achievable in most modules. My advice is to put the head down, keep organized, hand up assignments on time, and be consistent.

Well it says if I meet the requirements I will be offered a place in advanced of the usual CAO offers so hopefully, Im gonna try get as many as I can, also if I just got the three I might be able to get the level 7 if it came to that. Yeah I will thanks very much for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

I've done two level 5s and found tutors to be very helpful.
    If you can get assignments done before deadline a lot will take them correct them and tell you what you need for distinction if you haven't got one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement