Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van Hire in South Dublin

Options
  • 13-09-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Can anyone offer advice on where in south Dublin (ideally DL area) to hire a Transit type van for a day to transport some goods from Dublin to Cork and then return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sixt have a van rental depot in Rochestown Avenue/Pottery Road junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

vandriver wrote: »
    Sixt have a van rental depot in Rochestown Avenue/Pottery Road junction.
    Thanks. Will check it out. Have also come across Enterprise on Pottery Road, Dun Laoghaire. They have quoted €43.65 for a standard transit incl ins... sounds good value... wonder if there is some hidden cost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

bmay529 wrote: »
    Thanks. Will check it out. Have also come across Enterprise on Pottery Road, Dun Laoghaire. They have quoted €43.65 for a standard transit incl ins... sounds good value... wonder if there is some hidden cost!!!
    Including mileage ?Sounds too cheap!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

vandriver wrote: »
    Including mileage ?Sounds too cheap!

Includes unlimited milage and return fuel same as it goes out. No hidden costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I use Enterprise all the time for cars and occasionally vans. Some pointers:

If you rent regularly excess insurance is a good idea, will set you back €50 or so for the year. BUT it usually doesn't cover vans.

Some rental companies won't allow vans to carry freight (they're set up for passengers) enterprise does allow freight.

Transits are a joy to drive but you can easily kerb the wheels, Enterprise on longmile are great about this.

Check the rental requirements a credit card as opposed to a debit card is usually a must. Again Enterprise have ways round it but it's a pain in the arse.

For the day as a once off I'd probably buy their excess insurance if it was around a tenner.

• Advertisement

An update. I hired a medium van from Enterprise on Pottery Road, Dun Laoghaire. On the day they gave me a large Citroen van. I paid €88 for the day incl extra ins cover and a second driver. They wanted a credit card and charged €250 to it to cover any damage on return even with the extra ins. For those interested we were given the van with 1/4 tank of fuel and had to return it with the same. We drove from Pottery Road to Tipperary town on €50 diesel. Overall it was a good experience and I would use Enterprise again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

An update. I hired a medium van from Enterprise on Pottery Road, Dun Laoghaire. On the day they gave me a large Citroen van. I paid €88 for the day incl extra ins cover and a second driver. They wanted a credit card and charged €250 to it to cover any damage on return even with the extra ins. For those interested we were given the van with 1/4 tank of fuel and had to return it with the same. We drove from Pottery Road to Tipperary town on €50 diesel. Overall it was a good experience and I would use Enterprise again.

I was in a Citroen Relay over the week end too! Did you book online? €88 is a bit steep (although €25 of that sounds like insurance).

Don't just go for the size you want and book, keep looking. Sometimes the bigger stuff will be cheaper as it's what they have.

Thanks for the update!

The interesting thing is that I got 3 different prices, one on the website, one when I called in to their office to get a quote... and booked it then and another on the day when I collected it... they said the extra ins made the diff, yet I had asked for that in the previous quote. Anyhow they difference wasn't great so I didn't push it as I was in a hurry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The interesting thing is that I got 3 different prices, one on the website, one when I called in to their office to get a quote... and booked it then and another on the day when I collected it... they said the extra ins made the diff, yet I had asked for that in the previous quote. Anyhow they difference wasn't great so I didn't push it as I was in a hurry.

Online pre-pay rates are cheaper.
    When you phone in they tend to bundle insurance in it as most look for it.
    Extra driver brings it up a bit too.

But prices go up and down so unless you book the rental rate you may end up paying more when booking later.

Advertisement