Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account

Options
  • 12-09-2015 7:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to open a bank account online, with any of the banks?
    Starting new job Mon morning, and Sundays are my only day off. How will I go about this? Only got the job last night so couldnt do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

You can apply online with BOI - but you'll need to post stuff off etc...

Takes a week or so.

Tell your job you're moving banks and will get them a bank number ASAP - in a week or so. They won't care. They'll just back date you pay when you give it to them.

Pretty common with new arrivals in Ireland, people who emigrated and came back etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You'll need I.D.proof of address and the like I imagine.

Well done Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Put it under the mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well done Bertie.

Why blame him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If you visit a bank in person with all the documents eg proof of PPS etc. They will give your IBAN and BIC on the spot(well AIB and BOI do). Maybe try and get a Lunch time appointment? KBC branches are open late until 5.30 pm if you have one near you.

Just tell your employer you forget to bring your details on Monday and open one during lunch

Why blame him?

I didn't blame anyone for anything

newacc2015 wrote: »
    If you visit a bank in person with all the documents eg proof of PPS etc. They will give your IBAN and BIC on the spot(well AIB and BOI do). Maybe try and get a Lunch time appointment? KBC branches are open late until 5.30 pm if you have one near you.

Just tell your employer you forget to bring your details on Monday and open one during lunch

Permanent tsb are fairly swift with new customers too. Best of a bad lot IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Thanks for the help guys! Just figured there I can do it online just need to scan my passport and utility bills. Very handy, hope it works.
    I'll be working 7-7 in the bumhole of nowhere so getting to a bank is impossible, I don't want to be looking for time off on my first day.

If this doesn't work, could I get my wages in to someone else's account?

Or is it possible for the missus to open a joint account without me present?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys! Just figured there I can do it online just need to scan my passport and utility bills. Very handy, hope it works.
    I'll be working 7-7 in the bumhole of nowhere so getting to a bank is impossible, I don't want to be looking for time off on my first day.

If this doesn't work, could I get my wages in to someone else's account?

Or is it possible for the missus to open a joint account without me present?

You can send your wages to my account.

Yours

Prince Akimwanda of Nigeria

• Advertisement

316 wrote:
    Put it under the mattress.

Nothing to put under yet, but I have a little hole cut out of it, so I'll withdraw my wages, half in the credit union and half in the mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why blame him?

Bertie famously didn't own a bank account meaning that various tribunals couldn't check his account(s) to see what he might have acquired from little brown envelopes.

Bertie famously didn't own a bank account meaning that various tribunals couldn't check his account(s) to see what he might have acquired from little brown envelopes.

Was Berties wages paid in cash or by cheque ha.

How he got away with that is beyond belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

Tsb are the most hastle free. Stay away from BOI. They don't want your business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Even if you are able to open an account online - for the last few years or more I think you have to bodily go into the branch in order to 'activate' your account.
    It's happened once or twice in my work that we put the wages directly into the bank account the new employee has given us and the money comes back to us as the employee has not made the account 'active'. I don't know much about it, but that's what happened.

muffler wrote:
    Oh dont worry, I'll be keeping you all on your toes so to speak. But sure I still have my broadband and phone package to complain chat about for the next few weeks.....maybe even longer if Sky are nice to me

coffeepls wrote:
    Even if you are able to open an account online - for the last few years or more I think you have to bodily go into the branch in order to 'activate' your account. It's happened once or twice in my work that we put the wages directly into the bank account the new employee has given us and the money comes back to us as the employee has not made the account 'active'. I don't know much about it, but that's what happened.

Thanks for that. I will phone the bank to make sure it is active before giving the details to new employer.

Seem to be having trouble with it anyway as they will only accept a valid passport for ID.

My passport expired two months ago!

Can my partner open a joint account without me present?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've opened a couple recently. You can do it without being there in person but you need to send in a bunch of docs including a certified ID photocopy

bluewolf wrote:
    I've opened a couple recently. You can do it without being there in person but you need to send in a bunch of docs including a certified ID photocopy

What bank was that with?

What do you mean by "certified ID?

Did you post or email the docs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Certified by someone like a bank official or a guard. In my case I photocopied my driving licence and got a guard to stamp it
    Posted them I don't think they would accept email, they needed originals of phone/utility bills and so on, and returned them by post afterward

It was a bit of a pain in the face getting it all together in all honesty !!

ComfortKid wrote: »

Just saw that there now that sounds great :D

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    Just saw that there now that sounds great

I thought it was, but only a valid passport will do for ID

Permanent TSB open untill 8pm on Thursdays and until 2pm on Saturdays. Sorted! Great.

Advertisement