Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booked!

Options
  • 12-09-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Just booked a week in Montgenevre for the 1st week in January.
    First time going there. We usually hit Les Arcs and/or Austria. This will be our 'cheaper' ski trip for 2016, heading somewhere else in March.

Anyone been to this resort before? Thoughts? We're going self accom, just the two of us, skiers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I've skied there while staying in Sauze and thought it was great.
    Mostly nice intermediate terrain with skiing on both sides of the main road.
    It's easy enough to ski over to Sansicaro, Claviere and Sestiere and while I loved the whole Milky Way ski area Montgenevere seemed to have the most modern and best lifts.
    No idea about après and the town but I believe it's cheaper than a lot of French resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

maddness wrote:
    I've skied there while staying in Sauze and thought it was great. Mostly nice intermediate terrain with skiing on both sides of the main road. It's easy enough to ski over to Sansicaro, Claviere and Sestiere and while I loved the whole Milky Way ski area Montgenevere seemed to have the most modern and best lifts. No idea about après and the town but I believe it's cheaper than a lot of French resorts.

Thanks, that all sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I went to Montgenevre for one day while staying in Serre Chevalier a few years ago (the 6 day ski pass included one away day). That part of France (South Alps?) can get hit by different weather systems meaning it can sometimes have snow when other resorts dont.

I loved it. My favourite terrain is cruisey blues and there are plenty of those there. It's interesting how the pistes are graded differently when you dip into Italy, in which case, the cruisey reds are nice and rolly.

It's at a higher altitude than Serre Che and had better groomed snow at the time (YMMV). It was roughly 4 days after a massive wide spread dump. I heard somewhere that in Serre Che they don't groom the pistes for a few days after a dump to make it feel more like off-piste skiing. Which is nice until it gets tracked out and cruddy; and you need the right skis. If you like tree skiing, think about checking out Serre Che for your away day, if you get one.

Hope you have fun, I'd definitely consider going there again for more than a day. Pop a review on here once you've been.

More info here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/france/10473079/Ski-Montgenevre-resort-guide.html

Advertisement