Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return policies

Options
  • 12-09-2015 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but how come so many stores (especially electronics) have this catch-22 return policy.

Many of them say you can return the product, as long as it's completely unused and in it's original shrink wrap. How are you supposed to find out if you like the product if you don't even touch it?

There is effectively no return policy. But they are allowed to say that there is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Absolutely 100% - this is in ADDITION to statutory rights and they can add whatever conditions they wish.

You have no statutory right to return a product just because you didn't like it.

If however the product does not do what it is meant to do, or if it has a verifiable fault, then you cam bring it back opened and get repair, replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most electronics shops have demo models on display, I'm thinking of the likes of PC World which has pretty much every model of tablet and laptop out there for you to play with instore. Why should they let time wasters take a product home, rip the packaging apart and then exchange it when they bring it back just because they changed their mind? Who is going to buy the same item without looking for a large 'shop soiled' discount?

One of the perfectly good reasons for wanting the item to be still in it's original wrapping is because that's the only way they can be sure that the buyer didn't pilfer or simply lose one of the included accessories/cables.

Bad enough when you go into Aldi and Lidl and see how idiots take food packages out of the freezer and rip them open but don't get me started....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

coylemj wrote: »
    Most electronics shops have demo models on display, I'm thinking of the likes of PC World which has pretty much every model of tablet and laptop out there for you to play with instore. Why should they let time wasters take a product home, rip the packaging apart and then exchange it when they bring it back just because they changed their mind? Who is going to buy the same item without looking for a large 'shop soiled' discount?

One of the perfectly good reasons for wanting the item to be still in it's original wrapping is because that's the only way they can be sure that the buyer didn't pilfer or simply lose one of the included accessories/cables.

Bad enough when you go into Aldi and Lidl and see how idiots take food packages out of the freezer and rip them open but don't get me started....

I don't agree with that at all.

First, PC World don't have all the products on display. Second, standing 5 minutes and toying around will absolutely not tell you anything about it. You may come home and realize that there is something not what you want... and of course the salesperson told it was all OK, because they want their commission.

You should be allowed to change your mind. This seems to happen only in Ireland. In other countries, especially the USA, you can return a product within 30 days, no questions asked.

As for what to do with the returned products, simple, B-grade. But no, they want to take absolutely 0 loss. It does not matter if they lose a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Why should they have to take a loss?
    If you don't do your homework before buying something that's your fault, not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know I wouldn't buy something like that if I knew someone had already used it.

• Advertisement

Why should they have to take a loss?
    If you don't do your homework before buying something that's your fault, not theirs.

Sometimes it's impossible to do your homework. You may find something that does not suit you and did not know or nobody told you about before.

If this does not make sense, how come you can return a product within 30 days in the US? Or what about online sites? With many sites you can return the product. Some have a restocking fee, but you can return the product if you do not like it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I know I wouldn't buy something like that if I knew someone had already used it.

There are people who will buy a product that has been opened and is offered at a discount. OCUK does this, with their B-grade stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Sometimes it's impossible to do your homework. You may find something that does not suit you and did not know or nobody told you about before.

did you have a specific experience of this yourself?
    if so please share because you're being very vague.

You should be allowed to change your mind. This seems to happen only in Ireland. In other countries, especially the USA, you can return a product within 30 days, no questions asked.

As for what to do with the returned products, simple, B-grade. But no, they want to take absolutely 0 loss. It does not matter if they lose a customer.

1 - please show me what other countries allow you purchase a product unstore, take it home, use it and then return it as part of a statutory right?

2 - Why should a store operate at a loss because a customer can't be bothered to research the product beforehand or ask questions instore? All that does is increase the price in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

How are you supposed to find out if you like the product if you don't even touch it?

you are mistaken, this has nothing to do with you liking the product. it's to allow you to return an item you bought by mistake, doesn't fit the purpose (i.e. DSL modem when you have Cable connection) or when received is a gift and you have no need for it. there's plenty of valid scenarios when you can return the product and none of them covers you liking the product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many of them say you can return the product, as long as it's completely unused and in it's original shrink wrap.
    This is useful for people giving it as a gift, it can be returned if its the wrong thing altogether or they already have one or whatever.
    how come you can return a product within 30 days in the US?
    You can? never heard of this, I am sure some shops do it as their own policy but you are making it sound like a legal right in all 50 states.

I would also be sure many shops who do it would exlude many electronic items which nowadays have registration and initial start up screens which only come on for the first time.

did you have a specific experience of this yourself?
    if so please share because you're being very vague.

Bought a new DELL laptop, the sales person assured me I could install XP on it.

I could, except later I went on the DELL's site and realized they did not offer drivers for XP. Something I didn't consider... and yea, I'm sure every considers every possible scenario, I'm not as perfect though.
    you are mistaken, this has nothing to do with you liking the product. it's to allow you to return an item you bought by mistake, doesn't fit the purpose (i.e. DSL modem when you have Cable connection) or when received is a gift and you have no need for it. there's plenty of valid scenarios when you can return the product and none of them covers you liking the product

And what happens when you try to plug RJ-45 into a coaxial cable modem? It does not work. But the product is opened. That means you're stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wouldn't you know that RJ-45 into a coax socket wouldn't work. It's a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole..... it's really obvious it doesn't fit.

rubadub wrote: »
    This is useful for people giving it as a gift, it can be returned if its the wrong thing altogether or they already have one or whatever.

You can? never heard of this, I am sure some shops do it as their own policy but you are making it sound like a legal right in all 50 states.

I would also be sure many shops who do it would exlude many electronic items which nowadays have registration and initial start up screens which only come on for the first time.

When did I mention anything about the law? Point that out to me, please.

Many big chain stores offer returns within 30 days.

All I did was ask, why? Now since many of you say that it's a loss for business and you would not want to be able to change your mind, then fine!

I asked, got the answer.

Wouldn't you know that RJ-45 into a coax socket wouldn't work. It's a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole..... it's really obvious it doesn't fit.

If we're talking scenarios. What if some lady bought it. She is a widow, no one around to help the poor thing. The Internets are not working, she hears she needs this modem thing... goes down buys opens, wrong one! Honest mistake. Unused product, but opened. Cannot return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There are people who will buy a product that has been opened and is offered at a discount. OCUK does this, with their B-grade stock.

Of course there are people who will buy it, but why should the store have to sell it cheap through no fault of their own?

Say you bought a new phone for €450 but decided to sell it on before you open it and so stick it on adverts . I come along and say I'll give you the €450 and tear it open, mess with it and use it for a bit, then decide I dont want it so the best you can get for it now is €375 are you ok with taking a €75 hit because of me?

If we're talking scenarios. What if some lady bought it. She is a widow, no one around to help the poor thing. The Internets are not working, she hears she needs this modem thing... goes down buys opens, wrong one! Honest mistake. Unused product, but opened. Cannot return it.

If she asked for the item she was mis-sold it and it's the shops fault. If she was in the shop and asked for it then the onus is on her to be clear on what she wants. Most good sales staff will recognise when someone is unsure about a potential purchase and will generally try to get as many details from the customer as possible... to ensure what they want to buy is what they need.

Of course there are people who will buy it, but why should the store have to sell it cheap through no fault of their own?

Say you bought a new phone for €450 but decided to sell it on before you open it and so stick it on adverts . I come along and say I'll give you the €450 and tear it open, mess with it and use it for a bit, then decide I dont want it so the best you can get for it now is €375 are you ok with taking a €75 hit because of me?

Because IMO it helps business build confidence in customers. Knowing that they can return a product if they wish so. Obviously the product has to be brand new and should be checked before returning.

I think many of you think of the worst care scenario where somebody gets a product drags it along the asphalt and then wants to return it.

If she asked for the item she was mis-sold it and it's the shops fault. If she was in the shop and asked for it then the onus is on her to be clear on what she wants. Most good sales staff will recognise when someone is unsure about a potential purchase and will generally try to get as many details from the customer as possible... to ensure what they want to buy is what they need.

What if it was the salesperson's last day so they didn't care what happened? So they sold the poor lady a different product on purpose.

What if it was the salesperson's last day so they didn't care what happened? So they sold the poor lady a different product on purpose.

You're trying to cover all scenarios which is impossible to argue. Each case needs to be taken on its own merit.

• Advertisement

I think many of you think of the worst care scenario where somebody gets a product drags it along the asphalt and then wants to return it.

It not like that at all. Once the seal is broken it is effectively 2nd hand. Why would someone accept a product in a shop thats been opened and pay the same price as an unopened one?

It not like that at all. Once the seal is broken it is effectively 2nd hand. Why would someone accept a product in a shop thats been opened and pay the same price as an unopened one?

If the product was effectively brand new. And was sealed again. How would you know?

If the product was effectively brand new. And was sealed again. How would you know?

How would it be sealed again? Shops dont package products. They buy them in and resell them.

Are you moving the goalposts now ? What if the packaging is torn when the previous owners opens it?

I think the op is just trolling now with the stupidness of his posts.

If you go through life thinking "what if" of every possible scenario then such a person has far more serious issues than returning something they don't like.

You're trying to cover all scenarios which is impossible to argue. Each case needs to be taken on its own merit.

Alright, let's not argue. I did not start this thread for arguments. As I mentioned, I was wondering why. Now I got my answer. Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When did I mention anything about the law? Point that out to me, please.
    I said you made it sound like it
    Many big chain stores offer returns within 30 days.
    Do you reckon Dell would take it back?
    I asked, got the answer.
    I and others asked and didn't get answers. There is possibly a way you can get dell to take if back.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

the truth is, most shops that is advertising this will take it back even when the box is opened, however they put the clause so people don't abuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

No excuse for this these days Cyber sorry - There's so many unboxing and reviews on the web for Consumer Electonics. I want my stuff pristine with no paw prints on it.

rubadub wrote: »
    I said you made it sound like it

Do you reckon Dell would take it back?

I and others asked and didn't get answers. There is possibly a way you can get dell to take if back.

This happened a while ago Rubadub, I've already sold the laptop anyway. I don't know if DELL would've taken it back, I needed one quickly so I just installed the latest Windows on it and first world problem-ed through it. I was just trying to bring an example of a possible mistake when purchasing a product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 arnelv

no problem with lidl or aldi, provided the product you purchased has the 30 day return policy , just present your receipt no questions asked. Exempt are some of their " clearance sale items", you will just have to asked them if you could return it or not . Argos some items are have the no return policy once you purchased it. Adverts, most of the items have the " no return policy" once you purchased it as it was private sell bet. two individuals even it was new item.

Advertisement