Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other People's Expectations...

Options
  • 11-09-2015 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Just got thinking about this; How much influence do other people whether they be friends, family or maybe just society as a whole influence where you are today?

In other words do or have other people's expectations on you played a big part on where you are today or are you where you are because that is really where you wanna be. Or have you just followed orders and expectations for the majority of your life.

It's an interesting topic. What do you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I expected more from this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Ya at times i can definately feel influenced by society what is expected etc but i do feel i try to be as true as possible to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just got thinking about this; How much influence do other people whether they be friends, family or maybe just society as a whole influence where you are today?

In other words do or have other people's expectations on you played a big part on where you are today or are you where you are because that is really where you wanna be. Or have you just followed orders and expectations for the majority of your life.

It's an interesting topic. What do you think

I wouldn't let a football team influence the choosing of my handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I make my own expectations, always have and always will. You only get one shot at this life, so you might as well live it for yourself and not for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Most people are influenced by others to some degree. Parents, friends, workmates etc.

A 25 year old with shag all is not judged too harshly by others.

A 35 year old in the same position is a different matter though.

Been there & seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Most people are influenced by others to some degree. Parents, friends, workmates etc.

A 25 year old with shag all is not judged too harshly by others.

A 35 year old in the same position is a different matter though.

Been there & seen it.

Where's a 31 year old with shag all though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Where's a 31 year old with shag all though :eek:

16 years younger than me at the moment.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They don't expect anything from me. They know better.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Everyone is influenced by others whether they like it or not. It's a survival mechanism as much as anything else. Of course we have individual traits, but if you think that everything you do is purely down to your own unique desires and thought then you are kidding yourself imo. It's akin to people saying that advertising doesn't work on them (it does, you just don't know it. That's how it's supposed to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A little from column A and a little from column B. Could i be sure to what extent my motives are intrinsic or extrinsic? Id say I'm stubborn enough to follow my own path irregardless of others, which gets you the arsehole label.. As intrinsically, i want comfort and little stress
    It's an interesting topic.
    Do you have a source to back up this statement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Do you have a source to back up this statement?

source would be my brain/opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Other people's expectations are not my expectations.

Their problem.

Advertisement