Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015 - Awful Coverage!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Why would anyone resurrect a 9 year old thread?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

To show that in 9 years Rte haven't got any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm glad they did.

I thought I was losing my mind watching that sh*t last night.
    F**k me. It was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Haha, I was half way through reading this from the start until I realised it was from 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm glad they did.

I thought I was losing my mind watching that sh*t last night.
    F**k me. It was terrible.

Yes - extraordinary TV, & not in a good way. Mc Dermott is a nice guy, but he's clearly uncomfortable on camera, & doesn't want to look into it, turning sideways much of the time, incredibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

What do u expect? This is RTE home of The Late Late Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Ha I saw the thread and was agreeing only to see the thread was donkeys years old. No improvements then.

Favourite bits. Hot Chip playing Dancing in the Dark. It cuts back to the pair and Jenny goes "Dancing in the Dark. I half expecting him to pull Courney Cox on stage." Cue yer man going "What do you mean? Courtney Cox?"

This was not the first nor last time that things seemed to sail over his head.

If RTE are going to bother covering it then they should try and ape the BBC and how they cover Glastonbury. Lots of choice between the channels and the red button. And actually showing whole sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Too much waffle and yakkin, not enough rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Same every year.. I Sky+ it so I can fast-forward to horrendous lick-arse interviews and cringey coverage from Jenny Greene and whichever young pretty-boy is currently top-dog in the RTE canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They didn't show enough music. They had an pre-recorded interview with George Ezra and afterwards said how great his set was but didn't show it. I only watched it on Saturday up until after the showed Mark McCabe though and I'm not sure if they had it on another night so maybe I just missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I tried watching some of it on Saturday but there was way too much yapping. The presenters were awful too. Many mentions of the best seat in the house and I wondered the best seat for what?

I am well aware that they were not allowed to show everybody's performance on stage or only show bits of a show but FFS it was woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

In the Vain hope that RTe might actually read this and learn something...... fFS less talking more music, just play the music!!! Why they insist on Eoin McDermot playing silly beggars is just such a waste of time.
    Play the music, all we wanted to see was the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching when Blur started and they were saying they were going over to Blur live. So as you might assume, they were going to show the whole thing. Think they showed 2 or 3 songs then that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Really
    Terrible
    Entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They should, but won't, use Dave Fanning. Glastonbury coverage with Mark Radcliffe is the example to follow.

Birneybau wrote: »
    They should, but won't, use Dave Fanning. Glastonbury coverage with Mark Radcliffe is the example to follow.

Please nooooo !

Why don't they get some young talent on - Ireland has plenty of it out there.

The last thing we need is a ~60 year old continuing to try to be hip with the cool kids.

banchang wrote: »
    Why don't they get some young talent on - Ireland has plenty of it out there.

They used a young person to present Electric Picnic and he was awful

lertsnim wrote: »

Try, try again !

But pls don't put Dave Fanning in there !

I was just trying to make the point that going for youth isn't always the right choice. I agree about Dave Fanning though. He shouldn't be there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

lertsnim wrote: »

and She.

They were both horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watched it this year for the 1st time and thought it was horrendously bad this year.

It was being presented like a Glastonbury highlights style programme from the end of the night on BBC Three. No uninterrupted music sets whatsoever in RTE's coverage which was very poor form. Too much talking from the presenters and their guests as well.

If you want to see the full festival uninterrupted it seems the message from RTE's poor coverage is to go out and buy yourselves a ticket if you have the time and money to go to it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

RTE's attempt to cover the EP has always been absolutely atrocious. If they don't have the necessary licences to cover more of the live music then they really shouldn't bother at all. And is there anything more depressing than watching two hours of RTE presenters trying to mimic BBC presenters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Rte really need to do something with their music coverage. Bar other voices and the Imelda may show we limited to two or three songs on the late late and the Saturday Night show.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

It's in the RTEs code of conduct.
    1:Never give the viewers what they want when they want it.
    2:Reeling in the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Have watched the rip a few times now, some of the footage is great, Castor Troy it was actually 7 Blur songs featured, the Underworld bit was great but would have loved to have seen a bit of the Grace Jones set. I agree on the turgic small talk of the presenters though, did we really need the Abandoman bit, the silly presenter in the campsite, glimpses of Body & Soul but no music from this area. There was very little representation of the marquee stages, in fact none apart from a conciliatory gesture to the Jerry Fish tent and the Trailer Park. So minus 30 stages with just the main stage being filmed. As for the presenters, the Mark McCabe sh1te fitted in with Jenny Green's agenda of crap dance music. McDermott getting his facts wrong, twice he mentions that the capacity is 40,000, nope its 50,000 ya tube.
    What about Leagues O'Toole, Michelle Doherty and that other presenter from Under Ether, they seriously love the music, why don't they use them, they wouldn't just concentrate on the main stage either.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement