Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many outfits do babies and toddlers really need?

Options
  • 11-09-2015 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I've been picking up bits and pieces for winter in the last month but I'm not sure if I have enough or not. Last year, I bought waaaayyyy too much and a lot of it was only worn once or twice so I'm trying to avoid that again. Also, last year my little boy was still a baby and not moving too much so most of his clothes were dressy jumpers and jeans whereas now he's usually destroyed by lunchtime so wears mostly tracksuit pants and casual tops.

At the moment, I have about 10 long sleeved tshirts/casual jumpers, 2 hoodies, 3 dressy jumpers, 4 tracksuit pants and 2 pairs of jeans.

For the baby, I have 6 long sleeved tunic dresses, 6 pairs of leggings, 2 pants and a few long sleeved tops. Have to pick up a few jumpers for her. Also have to get winter coats. I'm going shopping this evening and I know I'll be tempted to buy loads that I probably don't need and definitely cannot afford! Am I mad to think that I have enough already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Elenorrigby

My little man is 2 and for his winter wardrobe I bought 5 longsleeve vests, 5 pairs of tracksuit bottoms, 5 pairs of jeans, a pair of cords and a navy pair of smart trousers, about 8/9 long sleeve tops mostly from next or name it, 2 hoody tops, a fleece zip up, a coat and two cotton zip ups, 2 smart shirts, new pyjamas and I think that was about it! You probably need some more bottoms, I got some tracksuit bottoms in Dunnes for €4 each and found them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Go with what you have at the moment. It also depends on how often you put on washes of the kids clothes. If you find you are running out you can buy more when you know what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I'd say you have plenty however I do echo as what was said above I find that if I have a real real busy week or the weather is bad things could go from the line into drier then eventually get folded or ironed.

It really depends.
    My oldest is immaculate with her clothes and always was.
    All her clothes never had a stain and so her sister gets great wear from them.
    If you have a messy child into everything etc you may need more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My 2 are messy little things :( The eldest revels in getting unremovable tomato stains on everything and the younger one is a leaky nappy ninja :o We wash and dry at least one load a day but the pile is like a bottomless pit :eek: I was reading a blog earlier that said you should be able to get by on 7 casual outfits, 2 dressier outfits and 1 super dressy outfit along with vests/underwear and pajamas. I rarely get to go into shops so buying in dribs and drabs isn't really an option, I usually do bulk internet orders a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I have way too much for my second girl as for christmas and birthdays no one buys toys they all buy clothes.
    I have sacks of clothes from first girl and the clothes keep comin.

I have hinted that she has more than enough but with no receipt I can only exchange for a bigger size.
    Also her godmother keeps buying her 2-3 yr old clothes and she is 3 and tall for her age.

I've dropped many hints and I don't want to sound ungrateful.
    But I hate excess clothes with tags hanging around!
    So all the cousins all get those clothes as presents!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I feel I say this way too much, but it really depends on the child/family. How often do you change on outfit!

I had nowhere near enough stuff for a refluxy pukey baby. Was washing like a crazy person keeping up with the 8-10 strip downs a day.

I'd question the plural in coats. Try one coat. You take it off in the buggy if there's a muff, in the car, in houses, in a sling. They really wear that very little.

Also, are you in any parenting groups? The groups I'm in all rotate clothes as needed.

I try to stick to a one outfit a day rule so provided we're not leaving the house again, once that outfit gets destroyed, then I just let the child go around in their vest if it's warm enough or else into their pajamas :o

Sorry pwurple, when I said coats I meant one for each child. We do lots of walking with the buggy and I find that even with the footmuffs, they still need a good coat to keep them toasty. I got a herringbone wool coat half price in Mothercare last year and it was so warm and lasted ages so I'll be keeping an eye out for something similar :)

I'm not in any parenting groups, there was one just around the corner from me but unfortunately they stopped running it and I haven't been able to find another one that wouldn't involve a drive across town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have a refluxy 7 month old and we've transitioned to winter wardrobe this week because we ran out of oil and we had a week before it was delivered!

I have 2 coats (one for at the childminder as I don't keep him in a coat in the car seat), winter hat with ear flaps, 4 long sleeved tshirts, 7 long sleeved vests, 2 gilets (one formal own casual), 4 tracksuit bottoms, 1 pants, 2 jeans and 2 formal shirts, 1 jumper.

After the week I'm short tracksuit bottoms (by 2 or o), need at least 5-6 more long sleeved tshirts and a couple more lightish jumpers/fleeces for indoors.

I don't like to wash every day though, every 2-3 and he does throw up a good bit still as well as destroying himself BLW. His vests can last 2 days so long as I keep an eye on the tshirt/top so I'm fine for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Everyone is so different. I use 2 vests a day. Change in morning and night as my daughter is quite sweaty so I just change it to be safe. Also I love putting her into a fresh babygro and vest for bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Does everyone here still use vest on 2 year olds? My son is 3 in Nov and we rarely use the, maybe we used them in the summer for nighttime when he was too warm for PJs.

I got a lot of clothes for my son this year because he started playschool and we don't have a dryer or a clothes line. I rely on my clothes horse in doors:mad:
    I live in a flat and very little ways to dry our clothes so I have to have plenty of back ups. I find Tesco or Penneys great for jumpers and tracksuit bottoms. Jeans from Next. It's the shoes he has and needs loads of pairs of because he jumps in puddles :) He has two pairs of wellies, 3 pairs of runners and 1 nice pair of shoes. He also have 2 raincoats, one winter coat, two light coats for warm days, two hats, and rain cover trousers. My general rule is 2 pairs of clothes per day just in case clothes aren't dry. I might of went a big overboard:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We bought a tumble dryer and have it squeezed in the corner of our rental kitchen. Need it badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'm a member of a Freecycle group on Facebook, and have gotten the majority of my toddler's clothes secondhand since he was born. I've almost always had too much clothes for him if anything, and all excellent condition! I'd really recommend finding out if there are any Freecycle groups or similar in your area, or even look at the secondhand bundles available to buy on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So hard to know.My little one is in 12-18mths clothes now and since its a 6 month window of time, compared to the 3 mths windows it has been up to now (3-6, 6-9 etc), she's beginning to need more -at 14 months!! She's hard on trousers, wears leggings and tracksuit bottoms every day at the minders and inevitably comes home in something different.The minder washes some of the stuff, which is really great but it does mean that I get caught sometimes at weekends.I never seem to have enough jumpers and cardigans for her either.
    I've been thinking about her winter wardrobe for a few days now, and I think I'm going to see about bulk buying leggings and tracksuits bottoms for her to supplement what we have.I'll
    definitely get a packet of long sleeve vests and some long sleeve Ts because shes hasnt many of those right now.Beyond that she has some dresses and things that she got as a newborn that will do fine.She has two winter coats, both presents, so we're covered there too.
    In theory they dont need much, but in practice, thats easier said than done.And I don't exactly go in afor a fashion show every day with her, yet I still run short of things.

Mrs Yellneckoff I only use a vest occasionally during the summer but come winter, they'll be in long sleeved vests pretty much all the time. I find them handy for the toddler because he spends a lot of time running round the house with no pants on so great for stopping him pulling at his nappy :o

I've heard of freecycle, I must check it out. I could have probably used it myself in the past when trying to get rid of bags of baby clothes :)

I honestly couldn't manage without a dryer. Our kitchen in the new house is small and we have no utility so we went from having a washing machine with big separate washer to a washer dryer when we moved. It took ages to adjust but it's just about manageable now by putting on a small load every day and getting it dried. I got a bit of use out of the washing line during the summer but the weather is so hit and miss so can't really depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Mrs Yellneckoff I only use a vest occasionally during the summer but come winter, they'll be in long sleeved vests pretty much all the time. I find them handy for the toddler because he spends a lot of time running round the house with no pants on so great for stopping him pulling at his nappy :o

I've heard of freecycle, I must check it out. I could have probably used it myself in the past when trying to get rid of bags of baby clothes :)

I honestly couldn't manage without a dryer. Our kitchen in the new house is small and we have no utility so we went from having a washing machine with big separate washer to a washer dryer when we moved. It took ages to adjust but it's just about manageable now by putting on a small load every day and getting it dried. I got a bit of use out of the washing line during the summer but the weather is so hit and miss so can't really depend on it.

We did that with vests too but now I'm trying to potty train the little monkey :).

My kitchen is the size of a cupboard. I can't fit a dryer in and the washing machine is a half size one because we are so limited on space. So is our dishwasher. I put on the dishwasher about 3 times a day and the washing machine once a day!! MY heart is broke :D I have to win the lotto.

Advertisement