Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurosceptic Parties

Options
  • 10-09-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Are there any Eurosceptic parties/politicians in Ireland? Ones who want Ireland to leave the EU? Are we pretty much the only country in Europe without an option to vote for Anti EU politicians?

Fine Gael are supposedly the most "right wing" party in the country, but in reality they are not riight wing and are lap dogs for the EU, probably one of the most pro EU parties in Europe. I would be quite similar to the views of Peter Hitchens on Europe and the whole open borders mass immigration now under way in this country.

Without my own views being attacked, what are my options in the next election? Is it likely the only option I have is to moan down the pub? I'll not kid myself about wasting more time contacting local TDs who are no more than county councillors at this point.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not any of the major parties, no. Sinn Féin are the closest, in that they are always in favour of whatever EU resulted from the previous treaty change, but opposed to whatever EU will emerge from the next.

If you're looking for a right wing party in the UKIP "keep the bloody foreigners out" vein, you're largely out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭real man

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not any of the major parties, no. Sinn Féin are the closest, in that they are always in favour of whatever EU resulted from the previous treaty change, but opposed to whatever EU will emerge from the next.

If you're looking for a right wing party in the UKIP "keep the bloody foreigners out" vein, you're largely out of luck.

Sinn Feins views on Europe are very unclear probably intentionally, mostly why I stopped caring for them. What is clear though is they are not Eurosceptic or nor do they advocate leaving the EU. Their views on most things change whatever way the wind blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There are one or two right wing parties, but so small they would only be able to field candidates in a handful of constituencies.

The far-left are also anti-EU, they see it as a corporatist construct working primarily for big business.
    You will have more options there as the SP & PBP will have candidates in most if not all constituencies.

The Shinners are the closest thing to a large euro-sceptic party.
    They seem anti-EU, but as been noted, Shinner doctrine is a moveable feast, so hard to say for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭real man

There are one or two right wing parties, but so small they would only be able to field candidates in a handful of constituencies.

The far-left are also anti-EU, they see it as a corporatist construct working primarily for big business.
    You will have more options there as the SP & PBP will have candidates in most if not all constituencies.

The Shinners are the closest thing to a large euro-sceptic party.
    They seem anti-EU, but as been noted, Shinner doctrine is a moveable feast, so hard to say for certain.

Those far left parties are nothing more than communists in disguise. And the actions of their followers are questionable at best. I would very very little time for Paul Murphy and co.

Its very likely in my opinion that if SF ever were involved in government it would be business as usual EU wise, carrying on where FG/Labour left. And I say this as someone who was once close to joining the party and usually vote for them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

real man wrote: »
    Those far left parties are nothing more than communists in disguise. And the actions of their followers are questionable at best. I would very very little time for Paul Murphy and co.

Its very likely in my opinion that if SF ever were involved in government it would be business as usual EU wise, carrying on where FG/Labour left. And I say this as someone who was once close to joining the party and usually vote for them.

Mod note:

You started a thread asking if there were any euroskeptic parties. Lets not go down the road of bashing left wing parties just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

SF sits and votes quite happily with the far left/communist block in the European Parliament as did Joe Higgins & Paul Murphy. They are "birds of a feather".

And having opposed every EU referendum, they are clearly anti-EU.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

View wrote: »
    SF sits and votes quite happily with the far left/communist block in the European Parliament as did Joe Higgins & Paul Murphy. They are "birds of a feather".

And having opposed every EU referendum, they are clearly anti-EU.

But their MEPs sit in the parliament, are active in the committees, and pick up the salaries and perks?

Trenchant opposition indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Ming Flanagan is the only one. Sinn Fein are every bit as Europhillic as Labour these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Ming Flanagan is the only one. Sinn Fein are every bit as Europhillic as Labour these days.

That's only because he can't cut turf in sites designated by our government's scientific advisors as environmentally protected. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭gobsh!te

oscarBravo wrote: »

UKIP actually want to get rid of discrimination against non EU foreigners from places like India and Australia.

Are you pro discrimination against anyone from outside of the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

View wrote: »
    That's only because he can't cut turf in sites designated by our government's scientific advisors as environmentally protected. 😃

I think that was the catalyst (which is a daft reason) but I believe he is now a genuine eurosceptic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Are there any Eurosceptic parties/politicians in Ireland? Ones who want Ireland to leave the EU? Are we pretty much the only country in Europe without an option to vote for Anti EU politicians?

Fine Gael are supposedly the most "right wing" party in the country, but in reality they are not riight wing and are lap dogs for the EU, probably one of the most pro EU parties in Europe. I would be quite similar to the views of Peter Hitchens on Europe and the whole open borders mass immigration now under way in this country.

Without my own views being attacked, what are my options in the next election? Is it likely the only option I have is to moan down the pub? I'll not kid myself about wasting more time contacting local TDs who are no more than county councillors at this point.

As an open economy whose position as an English speaking country within the EU is key to FDI: we would seem to have more to lose than most by leaving the EU. The UK would have a little less so.

Also, we aren't great with foreigners on the surface, but people don't really hold those deep down anti-foreigner sentiments that are more prevalent in the UK. Parties like UKIP can always point out Britain's past "greatness", their current perceived "not-so greatness" and blame immigrants and potential immigrants for the change. That innate "British is best" psyche in British culture means that seemingly irrational arguments like UKIP's are taken seriously.

We have blindnesses here but not really these kind.

I think many people would like to see us having more say and sway in Europe i.e making it more democratic. Leaving it is clearly an absurd idea at the moment.

Advertisement