Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easier to Marry Abroad or in Ireland?

Options
  • 10-09-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am a US citizen who has been dating an Irish national living in the US for 3 years. We have been living together for 6 months.

He recently got a job back in Dublin and will be moving home early next year. We are planning to get married so I may join him (as we do not qualify for the De Facto Visa).

Is it easier for us to get married in the US and apply for me to join him in Ireland once he moves, or for me to go to Ireland on the 90 day waiver, get married and then apply for residency?

I am most worried about the 3 month notification that is required if you wish to get married in Ireland. I am only allowed to stay in Ireland as a tourist for 3 months so by the time we can get married I will already have had to leave the country.

Any advice in the realm would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Boston48 wrote: »
    I am a US citizen who has been dating an Irish national living in the US for 3 years. We have been living together for 6 months.

He recently got a job back in Dublin and will be moving home early next year. We are planning to get married so I may join him (as we do not qualify for the De Facto Visa).

Is it easier for us to get married in the US and apply for me to join him in Ireland once he moves, or for me to go to Ireland on the 90 day waiver, get married and then apply for residency?

I am most worried about the 3 month notification that is required if you wish to get married in Ireland. I am only allowed to stay in Ireland as a tourist for 3 months so by the time we can get married I will already have had to leave the country.

Any advice in the realm would be appreciated!

Can you make two trips, one short one to visit the registrar, and then come back for the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that there is 2015 legislation that may affect this. I'm not sure if the legislation is yet in force ('commenced'), so the situation will evolve over the next few months.

You may have to attend the registrar's office more than once - application, interview and ceremony.

Ask yourself 'Is it appropriate to rush into a marriage?'. Note that divorce in Ireland is a lot more difficult that in many other places - 4 years separation out of the last 5 years, although it is on a no fault basis. You could of course move elsewhere and divorce there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Not so sure about the "divorce abroad" bit. We got married in germany and when we joked about getting an easier divorce that way (:pac:) the registrar said that since we actually live in Ireland as our main residence, irish divorce law would apply...so i'd check that just to be sure ( havent yet had the need to investigate this further:D) dunno how long you would have to live abroad for for other laws to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

galah wrote: »
    Not so sure about the "divorce abroad" bit. We got married in germany and when we joked about getting an easier divorce that way (:pac:) the registrar said that since we actually live in Ireland as our main residence, irish divorce law would apply...so i'd check that just to be sure ( havent yet had the need to investigate this further:D) dunno how long you would have to live abroad for for other laws to apply.

This is true. Friends, both Australian citizens, living here for 6 years decided to divorce in Australia as it's much easier and faster. They did this but when one went to marry here the registrar wouldn't accept the divorce as they had been domiciled in Ireland and the wedding had to be delayed until an Irish divorce could be obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Isn't the discussion about getting a divorce moot? As I see it, the issue of getting a divorce under Irish law isn't affected by where the marriage took place so isn't really relevant to the topic.

I'd say if the OP really wants to marry the Irish guy then she should drag him off to Vegas for a weekend and do the business. Once they contract a legal marriage according to the laws of the state of Nevada (or any other US state), it will be recognised as a legal marriage here.

So in answer to the thread title, it will definitely be easier to get married in the US, particularly because you can pick the state to get married in which puts the fewest obstacles in your way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

galah wrote: »

Actually the EU changed this. Your home country is now required to accept any divorce you obtained in any other member state. There is a sizeable amount of Italians going to Romania to get Divorced, as its quite hard to get divorced in Italy, but easier to get Divorced in Romania

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/08/romania_italys_divorce_capitol.html

OP you could get a quick marriage in the US. You basically can get married immediately in states like Nevada or within a few days in NY. Marriage licenses are cheaper in the US. Plus there is often a 6 month wait to get married in Dublin.

The interview process is mainly to deal with the massive issue of non-nationals having sham marriages to Eastern Europeans for Visa. Everyone knew the marriages were shams. But there was no way to prove it. I imagine an Irish Citizen and American Citizen interview will be formality.

For ease I would marry in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Boston48

Thank you all for your replies. It is looking to be much easier for us to marry in Massachusetts (where the waiting period is only 3 days) and then relocate to Ireland.

Advertisement