Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Dating

Options
  • 10-09-2015 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

Honestly, you're better off hopping on a dating app like pof

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know anyone who has gone, but it probably doesn't matter as I'm pretty sure the people attending will be different over time.
    €33 is a bit pricey but could be good craic.

There's always Lisdoonvarna too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who has gone, but it probably doesn't matter as I'm pretty sure the people attending will be different over time.
    €33 is a bit pricey but could be good craic.

There's always Lisdoonvarna too :D

€33 is quite reasonable for this type of event, it's very well organised and there's a mix of ages 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nah, Lisdoonvarna is known for its farmers (well, I haven;t actually been to the Matching Festival so...).

Google "what to talk about on speed dating", I haven't a clue sorry.

Or

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,786 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RHJ wrote: »

You're pretty much on the mark as I remember it. Pretty gross, overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

You're pretty much on the mark as I remember it. Pretty gross, overall.

Been to lisdoonvarna 3/4 times, meet some amazing people and always had a great time. It's for everybody,

think it's against boards guidelines to be negative towards events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Been to lisdoonvarna 3/4 times, meet some amazing people and always had a great time. It's for everybody,

think it's against boards guidelines to be negative towards events

Yeah I've had friends in their early 30s go over the last few years and had a ball.
    I think the festival got a new lease of life and because people are going for craic as well as serious matches, the overall atmosphere has benefitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mine went to a speed date in Galway a few years ago. He arrived early & started chatting to some girls in the bar.

Most of the girls were from Dublin & had been bought down by the organisers. Some were even engaged.

He wasn't surprised when no one contacted him afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend of mine went to a speed date in Galway a few years ago. He arrived early & started chatting to some girls in the bar.

Most of the girls were from Dublin & had been bought down by the organisers. Some were even engaged.

He wasn't surprised when no one contacted him afterwards.

Hmm I have to say that sounds unlikely. Generally with these events it's nearly impossible to get men into them where they're usually way to over subscribed with women. I know someone who organised a charity singles night but was inundated with women and only a handful of men bought tickets. She had to make radio appeals,go to sports clubs etc and ask men to come for free just to make it look like there were an adequate amount of men in the room (even though there wasn't).She was telling me it's the big problem with all these events, even the Ray D'Arcy show had to stop their singles events because droves of women came and hardly any men.

OP if it influences your decision the tickets are on groupon today and are half price. http://www.groupon.ie/deals/getout-ie-2?p=1&nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_255&a=1222&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=d308b10f-3586-47dd-988e-3fa2e9296171&division=galway&uh=b8dd6f63-0374-4098-97f6-cd83393836cc&date=20151209&sender=rm&s=body&c=button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=getout-ie-2-73991328

I think you should only go with the ends in mind of having a laugh and familiarising yourself with a few people you haven't met before. Don't go looking for love. That way in worst case scenario you have an alright night chatting to people who aren't your type, but you might see them next week in the pub and get chatting again, they might be with a friend you like more etc. You never know. It's a numbers game really, the more people you meet and the further you're willing to stray outside your comfort zone and your present social circle the more you increase your odds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement