Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE annual report 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah, same old, same old really. New board won't change a thing about RTÉ :(

Self Praise is no praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I will be honest, this report is a lot of nothing. As the previous poster said, they are bringing nothing new to the table. The blaming of such due to TV license evasion is farcical. Comparing, as Curran said earlier, evasion in other countries to Ireland (notably the BBC) is laughable. The quality of the BBC alone is a far superior output. I would much rather support a forward thinking broadcaster like Auntie than Montrose.

RTE are dropping the ball across their entire platform. I'm not one to yell for the closure of RTE, by any means, but I do believe that RTE 2 should be either entirely commercial (and RTE 1 funded solely by licence fee) or dumped. The age old answer that the reason they show foreign shows is because people might not have seen them as they are on other foreign broadcasters is entirely false. Homeland gets viewing on Channel 4, for example. Don't spend big money buying it. Maybe stop doing copies of other programmes on other networks, e.g. Don't Tell The Bride. It's cheap.

By all means, allow TV3 spend all their money on things. It doesn't come from the licence payers pocket (except for BAI granted shows).

The report is overdue and says nothing. We're propping up a broadcaster that blames lack of creativity or future thinking as a result of licence evasion and advertising challenges, despite the fact that they decide the rates, essentially, for the nation, as well as taking a licence fee.

Montrose, your move.

(sidenote: Moya Doherty the Chair of RTE Board and Head of Commercial? Worth in excess of €50m and got rich off Riverdance.

I will be honest, this report is a lot of nothing. As the previous poster said, they are bringing nothing new to the table. The blaming of such due to TV license evasion is farcical. Comparing, as Curran said earlier, evasion in other countries to Ireland (notably the BBC) is laughable. The quality of the BBC alone is a far superior output. I would much rather support a forward thinking broadcaster like Auntie than Montrose.

RTE are dropping the ball across their entire platform. I'm not one to yell for the closure of RTE, by any means, but I do believe that RTE 2 should be either entirely commercial (and RTE 1 funded solely by licence fee) or dumped. The age old answer that the reason they show foreign shows is because people might not have seen them as they are on other foreign broadcasters is entirely false. Homeland gets viewing on Channel 4, for example. Don't spend big money buying it. Maybe stop doing copies of other programmes on other networks, e.g. Don't Tell The Bride. It's cheap.

By all means, allow TV3 spend all their money on things. It doesn't come from the licence payers pocket (except for BAI granted shows).

The report is overdue and says nothing. We're propping up a broadcaster that blames lack of creativity or future thinking as a result of licence evasion and advertising challenges, despite the fact that they decide the rates, essentially, for the nation, as well as taking a licence fee.

Montrose, your move.

(sidenote: Moya Doherty the Chair of RTE Board and Head of Commercial? Worth in excess of €50m and got rich off Riverdance.

I wouldn't totally agree. US imports are important and RTÉ get them at a very cheep rate in comparison to Channel 4, who don't invest all that much back into Ireland, I'd rather watch a US show on Irish TV then on Foreign TV selling Irish advertising and giving nothing back.

RTÉ should avoid comparing Ireland to the UK, much bigger country BBC can spend a fortune on programming.

But with all that said RTÉ have been disappointing over the last 3 years. And DCERN's holding off publishing the report until September is dreadful, Moya wasn't even Chairperson during most of 2014.

I don't think Moya Doherty is head of commercial at RTÉ, but she is only serving 3 years which is very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Elmo wrote: »
    I wouldn't totally agree. US imports are important and RTÉ get them at a very cheep rate in comparison to Channel 4, who don't invest all that much back into Ireland, I'd rather watch a US show on Irish TV then on Foreign TV selling Irish advertising and giving nothing back.

But why both at all? I do believe that Channel 4 do offer items for Ireland. Their channels have Irish carried advertising, so they're obviously on the radar of media agencies. Also, 4oD is available in full for Irish users- unlike every other playback service, including RTE Player.

Elmo wrote: »
    But with all that said RTÉ have been disappointing over the last 3 years. And DCERN's holding off publishing the report until September is dreadful, Moya wasn't even Chairperson during most of 2014.

I don't think Moya Doherty is head of commercial at RTÉ, but she is only serving 3 years which is very unusual.

The reason I stated as such as this: from the report, it says:
    "Moya Doherty, Chair of the Board of RTÉ [...]", whilst I saw somewhere else that she was acting in a commercial role as well. I will find it. Being honest, I found the link on my phone last night and I'm trying to hunt it down on my laptop at present.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For the record, Willie O'Reilly is Group Commercial Director - a serving employee is never appointed chairman of RTE.

• Advertisement

But why both at all? I do believe that Channel 4 do offer items for Ireland. Their channels have Irish carried advertising, so they're obviously on the radar of media agencies. Also, 4oD is available in full for Irish users- unlike every other playback service, including RTE Player.

Channel 4/sky/Viacom selling advertising in the Irish market doesn't mean the are providing Irish services.

I'd be more likely to question why Channel4 buys US title when they could produce their own programming with the kind of money the spend on such acquisition.

Advertisement