Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to Vancouver on my own, too old?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey folks,
    Decided to head to Vancouver on my own next month for the two years. Out of work here for three years, so something I have to do, and looking forward to it :)

Have to be honest my main nerves are around my age. I'm 29 and just everyone I hear of going etc seem to be a lot younger than me. Is 29 too old to be going and staying in hostels etc?

Cheers,
    Matthew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

After reading the title I thought you were going to say you were in your late-50s or sixties or something. 29 is young, man. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

You're only 29 ya spoon! There'll be loads in the hostel mid 20's to mid 30's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd say 31 is the average age of folk I've met here. Depends on the circles you move in, but my friends group are between 28-35.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 matthew86

Sound thanks for feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went out there in 2011 when I was 27. I didn't feel too old. All the friends I made were around the same age as me (late 20s/early 30s). Indeed, a lot of people I met on the WHV seemed to be in their late 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

matthew86 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Decided to head to Vancouver on my own next month for the two years. Out of work here for three years, so something I have to do, and looking forward to it :)

Have to be honest my main nerves are around my age. I'm 29 and just everyone I hear of going etc seem to be a lot younger than me. Is 29 too old to be going and staying in hostels etc?

Cheers,
    Matthew

Too old? Not at all. I left ireland in May 14 and I was 32. And ive met plenty of people older than me who came out here alone. Send me a pm when you arrive and we'll go for a pint. Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Same again, too old? Not at all. It's not the J1 visa where they tend to be quite young. Jebus no. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Sorry if this is off-topic, but Vancouver.....good choice! It's a terrific city....hope you have a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I'm 38 and applying for EE at the moment. Thinking of heading to Vancouver, I'll be going solo if anyone has any tips I would be really grateful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I came here on my own, but knew a few people before hand coming over. That did help a lot.

I won't sugar coat it, it can be very socially cold here, although you are coming at the right time with summer starting up. People tend to come out of hibernation around now.

Plenty of outdoorsy style things to be doing here, and if you want to meet up with people or meet new people, there are good meetup groups here for that, and a few Facebook groups also.

Just don't drink the cool-aid while you're here ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement