Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name our storms

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The first one should be named AAA, after the anti-austerity alliance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Call the first one Wendy :pac:

Going by last winters experience (here in Dublin at least) we could name them all Disappointment.

As in Disappointment I, Disappointment II, Disappointment III...etc.

Or maybe Anticlimax I, II, III...if we want to start in alphabetical order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Well if they're going to do the same damage as Catriona to New Orleans then who will destroy Limerick citae? Olaf or Brian Boru?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Storm Names

Storm 1. Well that wasnt half as bad as predicted
    Storm 2. I thought we werent meant to get any wind
    Storm 3. Gayle
    Storm 4. Blowy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Going by last winters experience (here in Dublin at least) we could name them all Disappointment.

As in Disappointment I, Disappointment II, Disappointment III...etc.

Or maybe Anticlimax I, II, III...if we want to start in alphabetical order :)

My father still talks about the Great Gust of 1973.

syklops wrote: »
    My father still talks about the Great Gust of 1973.

I remember that night as a kid; it was the windiest I ever remember in Dublin. Ball lightening and a constant background howl which I've never heard since.

It was to Wind here what '95 was to Summer and Dec 2010 to Winter!

I suppose they get it every year in Sligo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well I called the storm on February 23, 2015: Red Army Day storm because it took place on Red Army Day but it is not official.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

hytrogen wrote: »
    Well if they're going to do the same damage as Catriona to New Orleans then who will destroy Limerick citae? Olaf or Brian Boru?? :p

It was Hurricane Katrina (not Catriona). Limerick City? What has that got to do with anything?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We should clearly embrace our viking heritage and name them after the valkyries, who else has such apt titles as:

Brynhildr "Armor battle"
    Geirdriful "Spear-flinger"
    Göll "Tumult"
    Hlökk "Noise, battle"
    Kára "the wild, stormy one"
    Randgrid "shield-destroyer"
    Skögul "Shaker"

and, usefully
    Svipul "Changeable"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Sully777 wrote: »
    It was Hurricane Katrina (not Catriona). Limerick City? What has that got to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing other than it's mainly on the front line for crappy weather and it's not as cool as Galway City :D
    Btw a major pet hate of mine is 'Merican spelling of practically every thing, destroying a once decent language.

Absolutely nothing other than it's mainly on the front line for crappy weather and it's not as cool as Galway City :D
    Btw a major pet hate of mine is 'Merican spelling of practically every thing, destroying a once decent language.

At least we'll have none of that here when Storm Seamus and Big Wind Mary are heading our way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Katrina is not an American name, it's Germanic. It's a derivative of Katherine in the same way Catriona is a Gaelic derivative of Katherine.

Storm names are set by the World Meteorological Organization anyway, not America.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The list of names for the Winter Storms:

2D927B3700000578-3280166-image-a-20_1445297526715.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

zerks wrote: »
    The list of names for the Winter Storms:

2D927B3700000578-3280166-image-a-20_1445297526715.jpg

They should be all called Wendy

They should be all called Wendy

Has nobody considered calling one (preferably a whopper) Schadenfreudia? :confused:

Well 4 names used so far

Abigail
    Barney
    Clodagh
    Desmond

Next one is Eva... when do you think this will take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well 4 names used so far

Abigail
    Barney
    Clodagh
    Desmond

Next one is Eva... when do you think this will take place?
    Monday :)

I think we should stop this naming codology.

The weather has definitely got worse since they started naming depressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

Can anyone tell me where these latest storms originated from, I thought once the storms we got originated from storms that hit the US and then we got the tail end of them. But now we have our very own storms.

• Advertisement

indy_man wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where these latest storms originated from, I thought once the storms we got originated from storms that hit the US and then we got the tail end of them. But now we have our very own storms.

Climate change! :)

Climate change! :)

Climate change is to convenient an answer. I was looking for something more accurate.

But on the climate change front, any opinions on this?

Climate change has become a powerful political force for many reasons. First, it is universal; we are told everything on Earth is threatened. Second, it invokes the two most powerful human motivators:
    fear and guilt… Third, there is a powerful convergence of interests among key elites that support the climate “narrative.” Environmentalists spread fear and raise donations; politicians appear to be saving the Earth from doom; the media has a field day with sensation and conflict; science institutions raise billions in grants, create whole new departments, and stoke a feeding frenzy of scary scenarios; business wants to look green, and get huge public subsidies for projects that would otherwise be economic losers, such as wind farms and solar arrays. Fourth, the Left sees climate change as a perfect means to redistribute wealth from industrial countries to the developing world and the UN bureaucracy.

—Dr. Peter Moore, P.h.d., co-founder of Greenpeace; “Why I am a Climate Change Skeptic”, March 20th, 2015;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/sun-s-bizarre-activity-may-trigger-another-ice-age-1.1460937
    “It all points to perhaps another little ice age,” he said. “It seems likely we are going to enter a period of very low solar activity and could mean we are in for very cold winters.”

But on the climate change front, any opinions on this?

Sorry, none at all. :(

Several well-respected scientists, studying the long-term and enigmatic cycles of the solar sun, are suggesting that the earth could be headed into a period of global-cooling, if not a mini-ice age. But that science is mostly being ignored. For one, there is no money to be made on “global cooling.”

Several well-respected scientists, studying the long-term and enigmatic cycles of the solar sun, are suggesting that the earth could be headed into a period of global-cooling, if not a mini-ice age. But that science is mostly being ignored. For one, there is no money to be made on “global cooling.”

No... definitely not as long as humanity is burning fossil fuels :cool:

I wonder if pollution from Aviation is an even bigger pollutant than fossil fuels. I certainly think the amount of bombs being dropped around the world is also a big pollutant and big issue they need to tackle also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not sure how the above is related, but anyway.

At Heathrow, the fumes from all the cars going to the airport is said to cause more air pollution than the actual aircraft themselves, so that kinda speaks for itself.

Also where are all the bombs being dropped? Compare the measly amount of smoke out of a missile to thousands of coal powered plants in China triple the size of Ireland's Moneypoint power station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

These storms usually form in the atlantic and head west towards us, same as always. The only things that has changed is that this year we have started giving them names.

This thread is for the discussion of the naming of storms so any further off topic posts will be deleted. However, I have responded briefly to some of your questions below. If you wish to start a new thread relating to climate matters feel free to do so

Global cooling would be just as harmful to the environment, and there is certainly merit in pursuing all possible future climate scnearios. However, global temperatures are rising and climate scientists agree almost unanimously that this is due to man-made greenhouse gas emissions.
    Solar activity has indeed been relatively low this cycle, but it is nowhere near the minimums experienced during the little ice age and any effect on the climate will likely be very small compared to the warming we are experiencing due to the greenhouse effect.
    Aviation is part of the pollution of fossil fuels as aircraft run on fossil fuels. I would imagine that the pollution of bombs globally is vanishingly small compared to the other daily pollution, however, pollution from bombs is not something that I know much about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Posts deleted. In case it wasn't clear in my last post, this thread is not for climate discussions. However, there is no issue with starting a new thread for such discussions if anyone wishes to do so.

Advertisement