Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which continents in the world have you been to?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which continents of the world have you been to?

I remember doing a thread asking how many countries everyone's travelled to, but I just want to now see where in the world roughly people have been to, which parts of the world are more common/popular than others to travel to etc.

I suppose this question is difficult because what is defined as a continent varies. For example my parents said they've never set foot in Asia but have travelled to Cyprus, and by the UN's definition that is part of Asia, not part of Europe (which surprised me), so if you've been to Cyprus you can tick the Asia box. Some models suggest there are only 3 continents in the world, but most western countries teach that there are 7, so we'll go with that. And I'm including Central America and the Caribbean as part of North America.

If you aren't sure what continent the country you've been to there is a tedious list derived by the UN by which country belongs to which continent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_continent

I'm not expecting this poll to be accurate, but I just want a rough idea of which regions in the world are more popular to travel to than others. Anyway I've been to four - Europe, Asia (UAE), Africa (Tunisia), Oceania (Australia). I've put Europe as an option, even though given this is an Irish forum it should be almost 100% anyway. This is multiple choice btw.

Which continents in the world have you been to? 325 votes

Europe
    0% 0 votes
    Asia
    27% 90 votes
    Africa
    17% 56 votes
    North America
    14% 46 votes
    South America
    22% 73 votes
    Oceania
    8% 26 votes
    Antarctica
    10% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I've been to North America, South America, Asia and Europe.

However for the first three I've only been to one country on each continent (US, Peru, South Korea). I've been to a few European countries. (UK, France, Belgium, Denmark & Sweden).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You forgot the one we'll all probably visit at some stage.

Incontinent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

All except Oceania and Antarctica.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If it's permanently inhabited by something other than penguins then I've been there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dan1895 wrote: »
    If it's permanently inhabited by something other than penguins then I've been there.

You should visit Antarctica so. Absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All but two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Never been to antartica...and dont really have a mad desire to go there. Its cold apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You should visit Antarctica so. Absolutely stunning.

Toyed with the idea in the past. Never happened though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Europe, Asia.

If you count Lanzerote as Africa then I suppose that squeezes in.

I'm not very well travelled :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Never really left Afroeurasia.

Bit of a small town person, I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hmm almost twice as many people have been to North America than they have to Oceania, I find that surprising its amongst the least visited continents given how many Irish are heading over to Australia and New Zealand these days. I was expecting South America to be the lowest (aside from Antarctica of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

All except Antartica

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just Pangaea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

All but Antarctica, closest I got to it was the Falklands. Seen tons of penguins there.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

All except Asia, South America, North America, Oceania, Africa and Antartica.

Advertisement