Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare & SUSI

Options
  • 09-09-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help here. I've been on the dole for 5 months and am going back to college to do a Level 6. I'm not eligible for BTEA so I have applied for SUSI, however, the payment for PLC's for SUSI is in October.

Am I entitled to some form of payment from the community welfare officer or anything as I will have a full month without getting a penny as I will have to sign off as soon as I start college. I'm 20 years old so I live with my mother too, who is also going back to college to do a PLC and is also getting SUSI. How do they expect us to live (my mother doesn't work due to just losing her job).

Another question too, we qualify for the highest rate of maintenance grant from SUSI, does anyone have any experience with how much this is a month?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

etakotoole wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of help here. I've been on the dole for 5 months and am going back to college to do a Level 6. I'm not eligible for BTEA so I have applied for SUSI, however, the payment for PLC's for SUSI is in October.

Am I entitled to some form of payment from the community welfare officer or anything as I will have a full month without getting a penny as I will have to sign off as soon as I start college. I'm 20 years old so I live with my mother too, who is also going back to college to do a PLC and is also getting SUSI. How do they expect us to live (my mother doesn't work due to just losing her job).

Another question too, we qualify for the highest rate of maintenance grant from SUSI, does anyone have any experience with how much this is a month?

Thanks
    Hey there,

Unfortunately, you cannot get any form of social welfare if you do not qualify for the BTEA. However, this is not your only option. You can open a student account and ask for what's called a loan advance. Basically, it's an overdraft with no interest that is taken out of your grant payments. It's a good system if you need 200/300 euro as it will leave you with some.

Are you getting the adjacent or non-adjacent rate? There are 9 payments this year meaning you will get €657 if non-adacent, €264 if adjacent.

Advertisement