Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psychotherapy training

Options
  • 09-09-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

pstchotherapy training

Hi....I am looking for some comment/info please re further training in psychotherapy . I have a post grad diploma in counselling and psychotherapy from Gardnier St in Dublin and would like to build on my knowledge and skills. I have been working in the field since 2009. I am considering doing the Hons Degree in IICP and also considering the Masters in psychotherapy......possibly in DCU or Limerick University.
    Wondering what choices people with the post grad diploma have made re further studies.

Wondering also what experiences people have had in relation to IICP, DCU or Limerick University...Would love some feedback...Ta...Seacreature

Final question....any body know any ways of financing these courses ??...ta again

seacreature is online now Report Post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

You would be gong backwards if you undertake the hons degree, considering you are already at level 9. However, I'm not aware if the post grad diploma offered by Gardener Street is accredited on the NFQ/QQI?

That said, if I was in your position I would apply for the masters, you may be eligable to enter year two of the Master in DCU, which is a good programme. There is no funding available for this type of training, as they are generally done by private institutions, or part time at universities

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seacreature

Hi dar100..great to get your response as im feeling addled at the moment....I don't see Gardnier st course 'graded' in terms of QQI. However accreditation is available with both IAHIP and IACP with this course which I feel is an excellent training.

Having said that it feels like my confidence in the work is not as strong as it might be and hence my desire to continue to study. Because of personal commitments I could not take on the Masters at the moment and so felt the Hons degree might be a helpful way to go.

Again would be grateful for all thoughts and feedback.

Many Thanks....Seacreature

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

"it feels like my confidence in the work is not as strong as it might be "
    Taking this, maybe paying for an expensive further college course is not the only option. Have you got a supervisor for your current work? Could it be a better option for you to pay for weekly, fortnightly supervision to help you regain your confidence? Perhaps look for another supervisor. That person, your supervisor, could even guide you in books to read etc to take you in the direction you wish to go if you wish to learn some new skills and techniques.

Everyone loses faith in themselves from time to time. It just happens. And seeking support can help enormously. Those of us who like to intellectualise our problems often seek support in extra 'book learning'.
    Try to work out is it extra support you need, or extra qualifications to make you 'feel better' about yourself? And just adding more support to your current set up may help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

dar100 wrote: »
    You would be gong backwards if you undertake the hons degree, considering you are already at level 9. However, I'm not aware if the post grad diploma offered by Gardener Street is accredited on the NFQ/QQI?

That said, if I was in your position I would apply for the masters, you may be eligable to enter year two of the Master in DCU, which is a good programme. There is no funding available for this type of training, as they are generally done by private institutions, or part time at universities

For all individuals practicing as beginning therapists, confidence is an issue. Forming an identity as a counsellor is one of the most important tasks. This is where clinical supervision is helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seacreature

Hi Folks....just to say a big Thank You to you all for your comments/suggestions/feedback....I am just getting used to Boards and now see it as a great resource.
    Well having considered lots of possibilities I started the Homs Degree in IICP last week and first impressions are really good.

If anyone is interested in how this works out/any aspect of my experience I am /will be very happy to share that at any time ....just ask.

For now thank you again....and back to the study for me !!

Seacreature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 let there be light

Hi Seacreature I'm interested in your experience with IICP. Thinking of returning to education I hold a BA (Hons) in social care and would love to study therapy I've also been looking at Turning point but the fees are so expensive. Any advice appreciated

Advertisement