Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't pay me or answer the phone

Options
  • 09-09-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

This is the second language tutor job I've done and these people are pure scam artists. Last year I was chasing my money down for six months.

This July I worked with a different school. I got a cheque in the post in august and then...it bounced. I emailed the boss telling him and he said yeah sure no problem give me your details and I'll send it to you. Its been a week now and no contact or bank activity. I've been trying to call him for the past few days but he won't pick up the phone. I know he's on it because I have him on WhatsApp and hes active within minutes of my calls.

Today I'm going to ring off my boyfriends mobile to try catch him. If that doesn't work we're driving out to the office to confront him.

What exactly are my rights here? Can I threaten a solicitor? I'm never taking work of this kind again, I can't believe I've had two bad experiences with two different language schools.

This is ridiculous, I want my money!!! Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you gone to their premises yet? I had to do that once, it was embarrassing but they paid up immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Friend of mine was owed money for a job.
    Rang the guy at 10pm, yea I'll send a cheque tomorrow. Cheque didn't arrive.

Rang the guy at 11pm, yea I'll send ya a cheque tomorrow.

And so it goes on until the 2am call and the guy is loosing his life.

Cheque did come after that call.

Be persistent and be brazen. Turn up in their office and talk in a loud voice looking for your money.

I know another guy who was owed money for laying a yard and couldn't get paid. He turned up at 7am outside the guys house and started into it with a kango, was paid and out the gate by 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

OK so I called to no avail. I can still see that he was active on WhatsApp so it was pissing me off.
    We drove to the office and he wasn't there but his secretary got him on the phone and he swore up and down it'd be sorted that week (last Wednesday) so now it has been a week and no word.

I sent him a WhatsApp yesterday saying I'd had enough, he has til Friday to come up with the cash in hand or in my bank. Now he read it, but his phone is turned off. Very convenient. I'm going to go to the office again today to try and catch him but what else can I do?

I'm literally at my wits end here, whats my next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Threaten them with Solicitor, going to the papers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Send the request in writing with required signature with a clear outline of what money you're owed, when you expect it paid and the penalty rate you'll start applying (Libor +10% should do) as of Monday 1st of October and that all future expenses from your solicitor's engagement going forward will also be included. If he still doesn't pay you have proof of final attempt to resolve it and can start going down the lawyer route and you've put it in writing that he'll be asked to cover the legal fees as well (gives you a better ground to stand on).

• Advertisement

Maybe phone into the office. Tell the secretary that you'll be calling on a particular day for your money.

Go prepared and bring a book or a friend. Refuse to leave till you get your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Do you still have bounced chq? You could try putting it trough randomly and see if it goes through. Also giving uncovered chq is a criminal offence if I am not mistaken. You could talk to solicitor or guards and see if they can be compelled that way to pay you.

Okay, so for anyone interested I have an update!

I just wrote a curt but polite email to him since his phone was off all day and he wasn't on site when I called in this morning.

I just tried to ring there to leave a voicemail but miraculously he picked up! He said he has just lodged it this morning and it should show up in my online banking by close of business. Does this sound right? It does to me. I think it might appear in my pending money since he's BOI and I'm AIB.

So it appears that badgering has finally put this matter to rest. I'll update with whether I got the money or not. Wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

For me it usually doesn't appear till next day, not even in pending transactions.

meeeeh wrote:
    For me it usually doesn't appear till next day, not even in pending transactions.

That's good to know thanks :)

• Advertisement

Okay, so for anyone interested I have an update!

I just wrote a curt but polite email to him since his phone was off all day and he wasn't on site when I called in this morning.

I just tried to ring there to leave a voicemail but miraculously he picked up! He said he has just lodged it this morning and it should show up in my online banking by close of business. Does this sound right? It does to me. I think it might appear in my pending money since he's BOI and I'm AIB.

So it appears that badgering has finally put this matter to rest. I'll update with whether I got the money or not. Wish me luck.

Good stuff.
    Hate people who won't pay for work done.

Advertisement