Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone

Options
  • 09-09-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to go away with my two year old in November. It'll be just the two of us. Is Athlone good for kids? I'd be picking hotel with pool etc but are there any parks near to the centre? I'm looking at the Radisson Blu. Any help here would be great. Or any recommendations too would be appreciated.

I don't drive so will be getting the train so looking for relatively easily accessible places to go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

hmm! you could do the Viking boat trip, goes from just across the bridge from the Radisson, nice relaxing spin? The Radisson is a lovely hotel and is child friendly, can't think of any parks in town center, you could do a tour of the castle but I think he'd be a bit young for that, there are play centers but not in the town center, there is a small playground beside golden island but it doesn't have swings and might be more for older kids.

God I'm really not selling the town here! Will have to have a proper think and see if there is anything in town..

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

We stayed in the Radisson Blu for 3 nights last week with our 3 month old and we had a family room. It was a lovely break and the hotel was nice but I wouldn't be rushing back. We had a very chilled out relaxing time and just did a lot of walking around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

We stayed in the Radisson Blu with our then 14 month old in June. It was grand nothing special. I wouldn't go back tbh

The lift down to the pool was broken, I was directed downstairs with a buggy. no one thought to point out there was no wheelchair/buggy access.

Breakfast was good with an pancake maker!! but the restaurant was horrible avoid, avoid, avoid

Athlone itself was good fun. we done a both cruise, the tour of the castle and the art gallery. We found some lovely bars and restaurants

2 days was perfect for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kz44

Hi pity u dont drive glendeer pet farm might be ideal for a 2 yr old. if you check out athlone.ie should answer all your questions also if you choose a hotel without a pool u would have the option of checking out athlone regional sports centre has pool etc. theres a park right beside it.
    Enjoy Athlone :)

Advertisement