Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI cables - Cork, Limerick, Dublin, Derry Belfast

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Shure, Dealz do a 1m one for €1.49, including vat. Best by an urban kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1m long though....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Mr E wrote: »
    1m long though....

Urban or rural?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

jameshayes wrote: »

Any technophile knows that you should never scrimp on your cabling. Stay away from all that dealz rubbish and get something decent such as this. Free shipping is really the icing on the cake. But be quick as stocks are running out fast !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

dodzy wrote: »
    Any technophile knows that you should never scrimp on your cabling. Stay away from all that dealz rubbish and get something decent such as this. Free shipping is really the icing on the cake. But be quick as stocks are running out fast !

There are some great reviews of that cable:
    First the good:

My television is capable of displaying 480p, and I have a 2.1 surround sound system.

So you can imagine my astonishment after I plugged this into my system - and suddenly my television was rendering at 2160p, and I had full 7.1 surround!

Now the bad:

If you have an older HDMI-capable system, this cable is simply too fast. By which I mean that it transports electrons at a rate faster than your system can handle. This has a strange warping effect - and ends up showing you content from the future. A friend of mine got this on my recommendation, and ever since he connected it to his cable box and television, he has been receiving programming approximately 93 seconds ahead of the rest of the world.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Technophiles who love technology, but don't really understand it.

There MAY be merit to thicker, gold conductor, gold plated connector cables for some analogue signals. But the people who spend hundreds of euro on a few metres of speaker cable ...

Digital signals have just two voltage levels. As long as they get from source to sink intact, be that over a piece of wet string or 10 sq mm gold cable, that's all that is required. A digital signal can't be degraded (the voltage levels can be, resulting in loss of signal) it either works or doesn't. So if the digital HDMI signal gets from your set top box to your TV across an ultra cheap Dealz HDMI cable, it CANNOT be improved by using a €200 HDMI cable (and these exist !!). The issue is whether the cable is good enough to support the signal. Other issues arise when cheap cable with very thin conductors are used for very long lengths. Here, the resistance of the cable reduces the voltage levels to a point where they can't be resolved by the TV. But, as I said, once the signal gets through a cable, it can't be improved.

Other issues with cheap cables such as USB phone cables, is that they may support the USB data transfer function, but the conductors are too thin to carry the current required for the charging function.

Actually just looked at the link above, and that $1,000 HDMI cable is just crazy. People who buy it deserve to be relieved of their cash, because they'll probably do something more stupid with it which could endanger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

There MAY be merit to thicker, gold conductor, gold plated connector cables for some analogue signals. But the people who spend hundreds of euro on a few metres of speaker cable ...

Digital signals have just two voltage levels. As long as they get from source to sink intact, be that over a piece of wet string or 10 sq mm gold cable, that's all that is required. A digital signal can't be degraded (the voltage levels can be, resulting in loss of signal) it either works or doesn't. So if the digital HDMI signal gets from your set top box to your TV across an ultra cheap Dealz HDMI cable, it CANNOT be improved by using a €200 HDMI cable (and these exist !!). The issue is whether the cable is good enough to support the signal. Other issues arise when cheap cable with very thin conductors are used for very long lengths. Here, the resistance of the cable reduces the voltage levels to a point where they can't be resolved by the TV. But, as I said, once the signal gets through a cable, it can't be improved.

Other issues with cheap cables such as USB phone cables, is that they may support the USB data transfer function, but the conductors are too thin to carry the current required for the charging function.

Actually just looked at the link above, and that $1,000 HDMI cable is just crazy. People who buy it deserve to be relieved of their cash, because they'll probably do something more stupid with it which could endanger people.

That "digital-is-digital" canard is demolished and blown away completely by the excellent review of Mr. Raggedy Man, proud possessor of the even superior p3x-888:
    Don't get me wrong. This cable offers adequate performance for something in this price range, but if you want truly high end performance, you really need to be prepared to spend a little more for the better quality. There are a lot of excellent products available but for only $12,000 for a three foot cable, the naquadah enhanced p3x-888 with dylithium contacts provides a far better experience. See, the AudioQuest Diamond is limited by the copper conductors which, like all metal conductors, can only transport electrons at just below 186,000 m/sec. My p3x-888 cable actually creates an active wormhole at each end of the cable and the ones and zeroes are actually dematerialized and transferred instantly from one end to the other, where they are rematerialized. This means that data arrives a few picoseconds earlier and less ragged for its long journey. Your zeroes are rounder and your ones are sharper than any mere copper conductor could provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you have to pay vat on top. still cheap

Oh dear.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

styron wrote: »
    That "digital-is-digital" canard is demolished and blown away completely by the excellent review of Mr. Raggedy Man, proud possessor of the even superior p3x-888:

...there truly are some humour geniuses on the Internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EoinAFC

I remember paying 20 euro for a HDMI cable when they were new. Honestly the drop in price is fabulous. Never had an issue with the 1.49 cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

I was a sucker and paid €100 for a monster cable in 2007. Think it was 2 or 3 metres.

guil wrote: »
    I was a sucker and paid €100 for a monster cable in 2007. Think it was 2 or 3 metres.
    you were not alone guil.

I recall doing a flat screen install for a friend several yrs ago. He purchased a 42" LED Samsung when they were newly introduced. The TV was €2300. On top of that, the sales guy talked him into buying a hanging mechanism ( a fecking wire for all intent and purpose, with a screw and Samsung emblazoned plastic washer on each end) for a meager €140 and the obligatory 1.5mtr monster cable for €79.00. He was doing him a favour at that price apparently. Needless to say, both items were returned for a refund. Sales guy was not a happy bunny, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

you were not alone guil.

I recall doing a flat screen install for a friend several yrs ago. He purchased a 42" LED Samsung when they were newly introduced. The TV was €2300. On top of that, the sales guy talked him into buying a hanging mechanism ( a fecking wire for all intent and purpose, with a screw and Samsung emblazoned plastic washer on each end) for a meager €140 and the obligatory 1.5mtr monster cable for €79.00. He was doing him a favour at that price apparently. Needless to say, both items were returned for a refund. Sales guy was not a happy bunny, to put it mildly.

Same story with the Sandstrom cables. €59+ for the cables. A local store by me, with a name similar to a well-known Indian dish has actually put their own-brand €8 cables on the other side of the store by the washing machines. The expensive Sandstroms are the only cables actually in the TV section. I have also in the past witnessed them lying to a customers face to get a sale. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was going to get 2 of them but I need the 2m ones and they only have the 1m in stock.......ah well. :(

:pac::D:pac::D

Was going to get 2 of them but I need the 2m ones and they only have the 1m in stock.......ah well. :(

Worry not Buttersuki, it's your lucky day (albeit only one left in stock). A shade more expensive but worth it IMO for the extra length ;)

2 mtr version

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Techmaster wrote: »
    Same story with the Sandstrom cables. €59+ for the cables. A local store by me, with a name similar to a well-known Indian dish has actually put their own-brand €8 cables on the other side of the store by the washing machines. The expensive Sandstroms are the only cables actually in the TV section. I have also in the past witnessed them lying to a customers face to get a sale. Ridiculous.

Sandstorm are a well known Indian dishes own brand too, they are just packaged to not look like that

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Power City do a grand hdmi for a fiver - 1.8 meters. That said, I have also used the Dealz €1.49 one - no issues, but short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sandstorm are a well known Indian dishes own brand too, they are just packaged to not look like that

Link

No way! :eek: Some of them in-store are like €79+ - crazy! I hate Dixons. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

vienne86 wrote: »
    Power City do a grand hdmi for a fiver - 1.8 meters. That said, I have also used the Dealz €1.49 one - no issues, but short.

The 'Euro 2' chain do a 1.8M cable for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

TV trade have a wide range of these.

Advertisement