Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Womens Chess Championships

Options
  • 08-09-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Irish Womens Chess Championships 2015 as reported on the ICU site:
    "This year's championships will take place from Monday 28th to Wednesday 30th December. It will be a 6 round swiss event with two rounds per day and will be FIDE rated. It will be held in a Dublin City centre venue and further details will be announced shortly.

JJ Walsh, who was granted honorary life membership of the ICU on foot of a decision at the 2014 AGM has agreed that a Cup in his name can be offered to the winner of the event."

So the Irish Women's Chess Championship shall have a cup with the name of a MAN on it.
    Can I include this on the list for this thread please?
    (Obviously no disrespect to JJ Walsh).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Irish Womens Chess Championships 2015 as reported on the ICU site:
    "This year's championships will take place from Monday 28th to Wednesday 30th December. It will be a 6 round swiss event with two rounds per day and will be FIDE rated. It will be held in a Dublin City centre venue and further details will be announced shortly.

JJ Walsh, who was granted honorary life membership of the ICU on foot of a decision at the 2014 AGM has agreed that a Cup in his name can be offered to the winner of the event."

So the Irish Women's Chess Championship shall have a cup with the name of a MAN on it.
    Can I include this on the list for this thread please?
    (Obviously no disrespect to JJ Walsh).

What name would you give the cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Ficheall wrote: »

Maud Gonne ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Ficheall wrote: »

Frideswide Rowland, leading chess journalist and organiser before the First World War (so a contemporary of Maud Gonne, who is not known for chess, and of William Armstrong BL who donated the Armstrong Cup).

Between 1907 and 1914 she edited The Four-Leaved Shamrock, a small chess magazine (copy available in the National Library).

No disrespect to Jim Walsh, but I agree I found the announcement bizarre. Surely some other competition could be identified for which a J. J. Walsh Cup would be a more appropriate perpetual trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Banrion Fichille

Elizabeth Shaugnessy, Chess Educator of the Year 2011
    Berkley Chess School founder and president Elizabeth Shaughnessy was named 2011 Chess Educator of the Year by Chess Life magazine! - Pretty high accolade.
    Hilda Chater?
    Dorren O Siochrú?
    David McAlister or Tim Harding may have some good ideas.
    I just think it's complete bonkers having a Man's name on the cup of the Women's Chess Championship.
    Again reiterating, no disrespect to JJ Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I just think it's complete bonkers having a Man's name on the cup of the Women's Chess Championship.
    Again reiterating, no disrespect to JJ Walsh.

Well that's a load of bull****. Why can't a women's trophy be named after a man? That is exceptionally sexist to think it can't be.

I agree, there may be females who could have equally been chosen to have the trophy named after them but that does not mean they de facto get it based on gender alone. THAT is bonkers. I would rather consider the impact that individual had (in this case) on women's chess in Ireland.

Some examples: Robert Cox Cup and Solheim Cup.

I'm not sure how and why they chose JJ Walsh, but lets wait until we get minutes or a statement of why they chose JJ Walsh (like the minutes of the last executive meeting) before we rush to get the pitch forks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

It is completely logical to name the trophy after a woman. It is the Irish women's championship after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

It is completely logical to name the trophy after a woman. It is the Irish women's championship after all!

I agree that it'd be logical to have a women's trophy and potentially naming it after a woman. I disagree with the statement that it's complete bonkers that a women's trophy has a man's name on it.

I'm just making the point that a man can contribute significantly to Irish women's chess and could be considered to be put on the trophy. Not saying the name they chose was the correct one or the wrong one, but it was a possible one.

Just to note: I don't know who JJ Walsh is, or what he did.

I could understand you objecting to naming the trophy to JJ Walsh because he hadn't anything to do with Irish women's chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grainnewail2

As a woman in Ireland who actually plays chess on a regular basis I can see no problem whatsoever in having a trophy named after a man. I don't know the reasons for having the trophy named after this particular gentleman but that's a different matter.

reunion wrote: »

I could understand you objecting to naming the trophy to JJ Walsh because he hadn't anything to do with Irish women's chess.

Well I am not sure what Jim Walsh may or may not have contributed to Irish women's chess but he has certainly done a lot of Irish chess in general and I am surprised reunion doesn't know this. Many readers of the forum are probably aware that he has been contributing chess puzzles to the Irish Times for decades.

I think he was the Walsh on the Irish olympiad team at Amsterdam 1954 and he was certainly on the team at Moscow 1956, and top board at Munich 1958. He was still playing locally up to the mid-1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

reunion wrote: »
    Here he plays Botvinnik while the latter was reigning World Champion http://www.irlchess.com/2014/10/24/walsh-botvinnik-munich-1958/.
    He was a regular at Irish Championships in the 1950s; no wins unless I missed one, but lots of high finishes: https://irishchesshistory.wordpress.com/official/irish-championship/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Its been a while since I read the Irish Times but does he not also do the daily chess puzzle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

He does, yep.

Tim Harding mentioned it in his post.

Yep, It would be better to have a female name on the cup. using a name like JJ walsh that not many know or , female chess educator 2011 is NO good due to lack of major achievements.The name on the cup should be Judit Polgar,The strongest female chess player in history, nothing will top this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

Wasn't April Cronin the highest rated Irish woman ever?

ComDubh wrote: »
    Wasn't April Cronin the highest rated Irish woman ever?

Not sure, certainly a good player (and very pleasant person). However, she won the title only about three years ago and could win it again if she wanted to try, so it's a bit premature to put her name on the cup. Like telling her to permanently retire whereas we could do with her playing again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Maybe this is off topic and doesn't belong in thread but why is there a separate womens chess championship and not just a general chess championship, surely that is itself sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

However, she [April Cronin] won the title only about three years ago ...

I don't think that can be right. According to the ICU website she hasn't played a rated game since 2008, and the FIDE website doesn't record a game since at least 2001. It would still be good to have her back, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Maybe this is off topic and doesn't belong in thread but why is there a separate womens chess championship and not just a general chess championship, surely that is itself sexist.

This a common point of confusion. There are no "men only" tournaments in chess. Women are entitled to enter any open tournament provided they meet the specific rating requirements.

Separate women's tournaments exist to promote the women's game and provide more avenues for participation. There's nothing to stop a woman from becoming both Irish Champion and Irish Women's Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

cruizer101 wrote: »

Could be argued that way but every sport I can think of is split by gender at the highest level (Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Rugby, Athletics etc etc). As with these other sports, women can compete in the men's section if they desire to do so.
    sinbad68 wrote: »
    Yep, It would be better to have a female name on the cup. using a name like JJ walsh that not many know or , female chess educator 2011 is NO good due to lack of major achievements.The name on the cup should be Judit Polgar,The strongest female chess player in history, nothing will top this.

I respectfully disagree. She has had little or no impact on Irish chess. Tim and Banrion Fichille's suggestions seem appropriate. Although, if Judit would like to come here and offer some coaching - then by all means :)

The BEST solution to the name on the cup ...is..................... Let the women decide.

Contact all the current female ICU members and give them a list of names and let them vote in a preferential system in order of choice .

P.S. The list must include " Catwoman"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

I don't think that can be right. According to the ICU website she hasn't played a rated game since 2008, and the FIDE website doesn't record a game since at least 2001. It would still be good to have her back, of course.

See IRLChess, she did indeed win the Irish women's c'ship in 2010. The ICU didn't report it for some odd reason (I assume an oversight). She was a fine player in her day. @Tim, I agree, I was really just wondering was she the strongest ever Irish woman player, and I believe she was.

Perhaps the ICU made a bad call here, but it didn't strike me until Banríon pointed it out. JJ Walsh is definitely a fine candidate to have a trophy named after him, but perhaps this isn't the best one. However if the decision has been made, then debating it like this is a bit pointless and undignified, and perhaps we should stop this thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 historian

April Cronin won the Irish Ladies Championship in 2010. It was one of the events in the Dun Laoghaire Chess Festival. [I believe some time in the recent past the ICU changed the title to "Women's"]

1. April Cronin 5.0/5
    2. Aoife Ledwidge O’Brien 3.0
    3. Sinead Duffy 2.5

I cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because I'm a "new user" so perhaps someone with those privileges could post a link to article 271 at the ICU website.

The probable reason there is no record of Cronin rated games is because the championship appears on this occasion to have been a rapidplay. The tournament brochure indicated that it would be a one-day event and its structure would be determined by the number of entries. It was held on 21st August. My guess is that it was a six-player all-play-all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

historian wrote: »
    I cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because I'm a "new user" so perhaps someone with those privileges could post a link to article 271 at the ICU website.
    Here we go

When the Dun Laoghaire club held its centenary events in August 2010 (GM, IM, Open) there was also a women's weekend tournament which I am 99.9% sure was billed as the Irish Ladies' Championship. This was played in the hall opposite the club, where the Open was also held. April won all her games (easily). I wouldn't forget this as I have known April for many, many years and was surprised to see her there.

Geraoidin U Laighleis was playing in it, as I recall, so somebody can ask her to confirm. Also Dun Laoghaire CC should have information, If this championship is not listed on the ICU website then presumably the committee of the day failed to inform the webmaster?
    Anyway this should be clarified and corrected.

ComDubh wrote: »

Perhaps the ICU made a bad call here, but it didn't strike me until Banríon pointed it out. JJ Walsh is definitely a fine candidate to have a trophy named after him, but perhaps this isn't the best one. However if the decision has been made, then debating it like this is a bit pointless and undignified, and perhaps we should stop this thread now?

I would be inclined to agree with Comdubh. I don't know much about the gentleman's contribution to Irish Chess (apart from the newspapers) but the decision has been made. The focus should now be on in getting as many players to play as possible, old, young and the inbetweeners. Its actually looking really good for Womens chess at the moment as there is a great crowd of young girls coming through. I think that the Womans Officer will be very important this year. We need a young energetic person to encourage all those girls to keep playing. The named candidate I think will be terrific in that job and that we can look forward to a really good future for Womens Chess.
    le gach dea-ghuí
    Gearóidín

Thats my anonymity gone, anyway!!

I did indeed play in that tournament. I think it was over 2 days and I played the first day. It definitely wasn't rated. It wasn't due to be rated so it wasn't overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Thanks to you all, and apologies (particularly to April Cronin) for not remembering this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 historian

The original announcement for this Championship was nearly three months ago and the "further details" are still awaited. The event is not even listed on the Calendar at the ICU website. Anybody know what's going on?

historian wrote: »
    The original announcement for this Championship was nearly three months ago and the "further details" are still awaited. The event is not even listed on the Calendar at the ICU website. Anybody know what's going on?
    Let me explain it to you, After what happened to the previous executive, The current executive which has many inexperienced members is overcautious and is careful not to offend anyone and it fears making mistakes and any resultant criticism and looking for perfect solutions, therefore it ponders too long in making decisions. It's simply a mild case of Atychiphobia. Your post will now act as a catalyst and will help bring forward announcement of a date.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Since chess doesn't involve physical strength, why is there women's chess and men's chess? Can ye not compete together?

Advertisement