Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japan trip - Golden Week

Options
  • 08-09-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm planning my second trip to Japan. I fell in love with the place last October and a lot of my trip was organised based on the top notch info I found here so first off - cheers!

I am back again and this time I'd like some advice regarding Golden Week.

I very nearly booked flights for the last week of April and first week of May but thankfully GW popped up in my Google results when searching! Based on what I've read I've decided my plan is to avoid Golden Week like I would the plague.

In 2016 it falls between April 29 and May 5th. If I planned to arrive in Tokyo on Sunday May 8th do you think all the craziness will have ended and availability of accommodation would be back at normality again? Or to be safe should I plan to arrive a week later?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Always a good idea to miss out Golden Week ,simply because roads trains & planes are all clogged up, surprisingly enough, hotel accommodation is not a problem during that week alone. Mostly families dividing themselves between visiting both sets of inlaws and dragging the kids along or the singles in groups jetting off abroad for the week, the JR pass will still get you onto a packed train , basically that's the handicap of GW. Tourists who spend the week in the cities will still find the hustle & bustle just the same as any other week.The Yamanote line is always full of bodies and you have the same chance as everyone else on getting a seat. You still have a morning & evening Rush Hour in Tokyo. I can't speak for Osaka as it's been a number of years since I lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lc180

Great answer, thanks for the info!

Any else have any personal experience of golden week in Japan? Looking to get as much feedback as possible.

Cheers

Basically everywhere of interest would be crowded during Golden Week... even the dates you're talking about might be packed because some people might get different days off. Having said that, it's a nice time of year because it's not too hot yet!
    I think how well you enjoy GW really depends on what you want to do, and how willing you are to wait in line :P Personally, I avoid making plans because I want to avoid the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 putthekettleon

Avoid Golden Week like the plague. The best time to travel in Japan is when the kids are in school. During test time is even better, google the Japanese school schedule and you'll get the best prices for the year around the busiest school days, this also applies to international flights. Times like Golden week, new year and Obon are crazy with jacking up prices, unfortunately, I'm a teacher here, so these are also my days off!

OP here, I did book flights to Japan but I'm avoiding Golden Week just to be safe. I arrive just after it finishes.

I cannot wait to get back there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 carlo5

lc180 wrote: »
    OP here, I did book flights to Japan but I'm avoiding Golden Week just to be safe. I arrive just after it finishes.

I cannot wait to get back there!

How was it there?

carlo5 wrote: »
    How was it there?

It was totally fine. I arrived the day after Golden Week finished and didn't notice any delays or huge crowds. Accommodation was a lot easier to book and the weather was great.

I'd go back again in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

lc180 wrote: »
    It was totally fine. I arrived the day after Golden Week finished and didn't notice any delays or huge crowds. Accommodation was a lot easier to book and the weather was great.

I'd go back again in a heartbeat!

Out of genuine interest , Any pictures [video's] of your trip ? Landing in Narita , Haneda ~, wifi pickup , food that you loved/hated , souvenirs brought home . Car's ???? people manners ??

Advertisement